BEER and Alcohol on Weekends

Options
Well guys, it's summer and over the past few weekends I have found myself indulging in 600+ calories in alcohol each weekend that I'm up at the lake (every other weekend or so)

....now, that said, I do not really go over about 1800/1900 calories with those alcohol calories included. Days that I know/think that I'll drink, I tend to eat lighter to "prep" for it.

Question is, does this make it "ok", or should I still abstain from alcohol? My regular daily intake of calories every other day of the week ranges from 1200-1600....and I exercise a minimum of 500 calories daily.

Just looking for some feedback/thoughts from all you great MFP people, and wondering if anyone else fits this profile as well :-)

Thanks!

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Well guys, it's summer and over the past few weekends I have found myself indulging in 600+ calories in alcohol each weekend that I'm up at the lake (every other weekend or so)

....now, that said, I do not really go over about 1800/1900 calories with those alcohol calories included. Days that I know/think that I'll drink, I tend to eat lighter to "prep" for it.

Question is, does this make it "ok", or should I still abstain from alcohol? My regular daily intake of calories every other day of the week ranges from 1200-1600....and I exercise a minimum of 500 calories daily.

Just looking for some feedback/thoughts from all you great MFP people, and wondering if anyone else fits this profile as well :-)

Thanks!

There's a difference between 600 calories in chicken and 600 calories in beer.

Personally, I've quit drinking for the most part.. At the most I'll have 2-3 beers a month, if that.

But that's just me.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I drink just about every weekend. When it comes to beer, I try to stick to the "light" beer. Bud 55 being my favorite. Also, if I KNOW I am going to be consuming extra calories, I just try to workout a little more and 'earn' some extra cals! 500 cals burned a day is great, I don't see any problems with you have a few drinks over the weekend!
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    I dont drink often, but I will on vacation and stuff. I try hard to work out almost double on the days I am going to drink. Just so I know I have burned. I also look for reduced calorie drink choices - "skinny drinks" made without the sugars and premade mixes. My friends who drink beer try to drink the light ones - or only have one or two. Hope that helps.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone is different, but since I started MFP and losing weight, I usually have anywhere from 6-12 beers every weekend and I have been continuously losing anywhere from 0.5-1lb each week. I know I would lose more and faster if I didn't drink at all, but I'm not going to stop cold turkey. I cut back a lot and found what works for me, but everyone is different. I probably won't cut it out completely unless I hit a serious plateau.
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you losing? I find that I have a "splurge" day or two every other week and it helps my metabolism to kick in gear! I try not to over-do it, but enjoy myself! I would say if you are not losing at the pace you would like to cut it out, but if it's not bothering you then do what your comfortable with! Good luck!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    IMO, I'd avoid it completely. It's just my opinion though. I want the best body ever, so alcohol is definitely a HUGE no-no for me. Do you drink because of peer pressure or because you actually want to drink?
  • qofspades
    qofspades Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The weekends are my time to drink. I don't track my calories so closely on the weekends now. I do exercise to absorb some of the calories that I know beer and alcohol add. I try to stick with the light beers.
  • chwisdeen
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing myself!

I have had a couple of drinks on the weekend but have stuck to sugarless drinks - gin or vodka with slimline tonic is a good one for instance.

As far as I understand alcohol slows your metabolism down so if you are working to improve it then I would say it's a no-no but then everyone is different. For instance it takes my friends around 1-2 days to get their metabolism back on track after a night drinking but it will take me anything up to one week to do so.
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Personally I drink beer, I love beer. I usually drink 1 maybe 2 beers a day. This hasn't hurt my weight loss efforts (that I know of) since I've lost 36 lbs. since the beginning of April. Everyone's body is different and different things can derail the weight loss effort. That being said, I am not replacing my base calories with alcohol calories. I am using exercise calories to allow for alcohol calories. To help keep the calories lower I just drink a lighter version of the beer I like.

If you are still making progress then you aren't hurting anything, if you have reached a plalteau then back down the alcohol or increase the exercise while you are at the lake. Get out the camping chair and go for a hike or go swimming/skiing. = ) Good luck!!
  • alright_flower
    Options
    I guess there are no definite rules - just see how it's affecting your body and weight loss, and if you're not happy then do something about it. If you're still on track though, don't worry about it!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the feedback so far!

I should have mentioned before (duh!): I am trying to maintain my weight, and not lose.....I'm at the maintenance stage now :-)
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    just a question to understand: how big is one beer for you? for me a beer is about 16 fl oz? and 6-12 beer per weekend is a lot of liquid to my daily water - couldn't drink so much fluid (no matter of what) - sorry just being curious :)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Alcohol gets a bad wrap in my opinion.. Alcohol itself is burnt off very quickly in the body so those calories are going in and they are gone, you're body will work extra hard to burn off alcohol. BUT, it absolutely does slooooow down your metabolism for a while SO, if you drink and leave it at that I'd say you're ok, BUT if you drink alcohol then divulge in the normal drunk persons diet (T-bell, pizza, sweets, etc., those will take extra extra long to burn as your metabolism is very slow. I hope that makes sense!

I usually have a beer or two after I work out, there are good carbs and nutrients, especially Guinness, which is what I drink. When I do drink on the weekends I mix crystal light with vodka or make skinny girl margarita's. I think if you're drinking heavy beers, sugary drinks or things like that you may be worse off. Just my two cents! =)

Bottom line, it's summer.. I know I'd be miserable if I had to watch everyone else have fun, just because I'm "dieting" I should not have to miss out on fun stuff! Drinking is fun to me! lol.. I also get a GREAT workout in early in the morning if I'm going to be drinking that night, specifically weight lifting..
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Usually, if I do have a craving for beer, I drink MGD64 which I actually enjoy the taste. Ever since I started to drastically decrease my alcohol intake, I've noticed that 1 beer or glass of wine, is all I need.
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    just a question to understand: how big is one beer for you? for me a beer is about 16 fl oz? and 6-12 beer per weekend is a lot of liquid to my daily water - couldn't drink so much fluid (no matter of what) - sorry just being curious :)

One beer is a 6 fl oz beer for me...just a bottle. :-)
  • chelseajillian5
    Options
    I drink just about every weekend. When it comes to beer, I try to stick to the "light" beer. Bud 55 being my favorite. Also, if I KNOW I am going to be consuming extra calories, I just try to workout a little more and 'earn' some extra cals! 500 cals burned a day is great, I don't see any problems with you have a few drinks over the weekend!

Agreed!!!!!
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    I usually have a beer or two after I work out, there are good carbs and nutrients, especially Guinness, which is what I drink. When I do drink on the weekends I mix crystal light with vodka or make skinny girl margarita's. I think if you're drinking heavy beers, sugary drinks or things like that you may be worse off. Just my two cents! =)

Bottom line, it's summer.. I know I'd be miserable if I had to watch everyone else have fun, just because I'm "dieting" I should not have to miss out on fun stuff! Drinking is fun to me! lol.. I also get a GREAT workout in early in the morning if I'm going to be drinking that night, specifically weight lifting..

Yumm, Guinness! I LOVE my dark beers, which is generally what I have. Guinness, and other stouts/porters. I feel ya there!
  • jonbairam11
    Options
    Hi..I am the same.. I dont think you should stop drinking unless you intend to stop drinking forever...to me this journey we are all on, is a way of eating healthy and getting up and moving, more of a lifestyle change and not a 'diet' to get me to a weight that I will feel socially comfortable at. I want to be healthier and fitter for ever....I want to enjoy life....I enjoy taking alcohol...if I deny myself pleasure I will want it all the more....

If you drink alcohol, but you eat well (not processe foods, as they are the evil things) and you exercise enough, your body will remain healthy, weight loss is a by-product of being healthy in my opinion....

Also I tend to drink Gin & slimline tonic which not only tastes great but it only has about 50 cals a glass and I reckon after 6 of them you will be feeling OK....300 cals only!

Beer is a complex carb and is difficult to digest and you will get bloated and the calories will stick on you....

these are my thoughts anyway...bye

jon
  • agataarchangel
    Options

Agreed!!!!!

Yeah, I usually workout everyday, including the day I drink....and the day before, and the day after. I definitely notice I sweat more the day after!!! Lol- squeezing all of the sins from the night before out of me...haha.
  • chelseajillian5
    Options
    hahah, nice! but yea i think that if you're at least keeping your workout you will be fine! i like to drink, its what summer is about, hanging out and having a good time! so have your good time and just keep up the workouts!!!