how can i excersize when im recovering from a dislocated kne

Options
i dislocated my knee at dancing and its been 3 weeks now, i cant run and can only walk but even that hurts if i do it for to long.
Im a full time dancer so im used to being energetic all day everyday but im falling out of shape and need some things to do to keep me toned and ready to return to dancing :)

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    seems to me you should be asking your doctor what activities are ok during your recovery.
  • lfirman
    lfirman Posts: 5
    Options
    Walking in water is excellent therapy and a good workout, low impact and easy on the joints. If you can find a heated therapy pool at a YMCA or hospital it's even better.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Can you do lots of floor exercises, crunches and the like? Not as energetic as you might be used to but better than nothing! Good luck
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    seems to me you should be asking your doctor what activities are ok during your recovery.

^^^ this. Talk to your doctor before you do any exercise. You don't want to re-damage the knee.
  • mandarhobbit
    Options
    For anything below the waist, I would talk to your doctor, especially about aerobic water exercises. Those are generally recommended for joint problems that have only partial weight baring status. You can, however, still do upper extremity exercises.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - I totally agree with talking to your doctor...he/she will say anything upper body that doesn't bring weight down to your knee will be acceptable (I'm guessing here!). I assume sit ups or any sort of crunch work will be suffice, as well as weights for your upper body as well. You just don't want to compromise anything to do with the healing process of your knee.

Good luck!