I had a "Duh" moment...

Options
So, I was sitting there on my couch contemplating what I could do for exercise since I skipped the gym, and my dog Carlos (he's the cutest long-haired Chihuahua) was sitting on the other end of the couch looking at me like "Im bored". And then it hit me, I should go take him for a walk. Usually I just let him out in the backyard so he can go run and play, so going out on his leash was a big deal for him, and we had a nice walk together, and he was so happy the whole time, so, long story short, I am incorporating a daily walk with the dog after dinner now, regardless of whether I hit the gym or not. Duh, I should have been doing this all along... Lol

Replies

• MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great! Dogs are wonderful motivators. I have several friends who walk their dogs daily as part of their exercise.
  • amberlee2011
    Options
    Good for you! I'm sure your pup appreciates it! =)
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like to walk my dog late at night. She is 85 Lbs and when she sees a cat or another dog my cardio walk turns into a weight training tug of war. So, late at night when the other dogs are inside asleep is best. She's a great runner too so I hope she'll help me with that!
    Dogs are more fun that gym equipment!
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I have 2 dogs, and no yard so I walk them every day. It is great exercise and good bonding time with my pooches! They love it. I scale back how long and how far I walk though with the heat and one is a little older with smaller legs so she can't walk as far as the other one. That is something to consider, I remember reading or hearing Ceasar say something about that. Bigger dogs with their longer legs can handle longer distances and running easier than a smaller dog with shorter legs. So if they aren't used to it, start off in shorter distances, keep and eye on them and make sure they are overly hot or exurting themselves. I tried to push my short dog to 3 miles and she couldn't hop up on the bed, couch or even on her hind legs to stretch up and give me the hugs she does when I come home. It took about a week for her to recover. So now I know.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    That's great for you and the dog!
    I have 4 dogs so they do keep me fairly active(probably the only thing that kept my weight from completely spiraling out of control). I always try to walk each of them everyday on top of my other exercises.