How to determine the ideal GOAL weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I remember reading once that my ideal weight was around 145 lbs... now the last time i was that weight i was a uk size 8.. (i'm currently a UK 16/18 and about 200-210lbs.. mmm.. yes... what a difference I hear you say!)

I can happily say that me being a size 8 did not look right... in any way!! I'm not a "tall" person, but I'm between 5'7" and 5'8".. to get back to this weight i'd have to effectively shift, at LEAST 55lbs. In myself I know that 145lbs isn't a healthy weight for ME.. so I'm going to be aiming about 158-160lbs.. which i think is reasonable, and healthy.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Changed my goal weight. I started MFP almost 2 months ago at 217# with a goal weight of 185#. I have now lost 20 pounds and I am confident I can get myself down even more. So I set my new goal at 175#, the top end of Healthy for my BMI.

But my question is, what should be the ideal goal weight? BMI seems so flimsy as a measurement relative to body type. I don't have access to a body fat % calculation (that I know of).

How did you set your goal weight?

Personally, I would focus on a goal body fat percentage rather than a goal weight, since weight is influenced by a lot of factors. To get an idea of what weight you should be at your goal BF%, try the following.

Lean Body Mass /(1- Goal BF%[in decimal form]) = Ideal Weight

So for me, I have 165lbs of LBM and my goal is 12% body fat.

165/(1-0.12) = 187.5lbs

This method assumes that you will not lose any LBM over the course of your weight loss. If you lose LBM you will need to get to a lower weight t to reach the same body fat percentage. This is typically more accurate than using BMI as a guide.

I have found the US Navy formula to be the most accurate for estimating body fat percentage.

A calculator can be found here:
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

To get your LBM, do the following

Current Body Weight x (1- Current BF%) = LBM

I agree with that, BF% is better than weight by far.

Currently 15% is my goal and I should be around 175 for that and I'm 5'6"

Someday I'm going to try for 10-12% but try to stay around 175.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Changed my goal weight. I started MFP almost 2 months ago at 217# with a goal weight of 185#. I have now lost 20 pounds and I am confident I can get myself down even more. So I set my new goal at 175#, the top end of Healthy for my BMI.

But my question is, what should be the ideal goal weight? BMI seems so flimsy as a measurement relative to body type. I don't have access to a body fat % calculation (that I know of).

Some gyms will estimate your BF% for you. I'm currently around 13-14% and weigh 154. My goal is to be around 12% and 150.

At that point, I will evaluate how I feel and decide if I want to go further.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

The scale lies and BMI is flimsy, pick a goal bf%. Don't use one of the online tools to figure it out either, so to a trainer and get measured or buy a pair of calipers online and periodically have someone measure you.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

The scale lies and BMI is flimsy, pick a goal bf%. Don't use one of the online tools to figure it out either, so to a trainer and get measured or buy a pair of calipers online and periodically have someone measure you.

In the wrong hands calipers can be just as inaccurate as formulas. While a good formula still has a 1-3% margin of error, it is a lot easier to be consistent with a tape measure, and as long as you are consistent, you will be able to track accurate losses or gains regardless of the formula not resulting in your actual BF%.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out this website for setting a realistic goal weight: http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Interesting. This site pegs me to 179. My goal is 175. So pretty close.
    Thanks!
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for contributing to this. I apparently have some self education to do when it comes to my body fat, but this is a great start.

You are ALL the best. Everyone unique :).

Feel free to friend add, and thanks again.
  • welshgirl53
    welshgirl53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine would be until I've lost my blubber..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, ideally you want to start at your Lean Body Mass (fat free mass, whatever you want to call it) and work UP, rather than start at your current scale weight and work down.

You can also consider the lowest weight you ever weighed as an adult.

Or you just keep going until you like what you see in the mirror.

The main thing is that "ideal weight" is a moving target, esp if you are just starting out. Following an exercise program will often result in changes to your overall body composition, so the number you had at the start might not be as appropriate when you get closer to the "goal".