Off the wagon?

Options
So about a month or so ago I hit the wonderful "Goal Weight." I told myself that I would keep at it, though, so I can remain healthy. In the weeks that have followed, however, I have stopped coming the MFP regularly to calculate my food, I find myself eating 3 pieces of pizza again, not two (and using dipping sauce again). I am eating more junk, again (candy, chips, LOTS of ice cream, fries). I am completely NOT working out. Not even thinking about it or trying.

I haven't (luckily) gained more than a pound or so. But that isn't my real concern; it is my mental state that is concerning me. I feel myself slipping back into stress eating, not thinking first, just giving in to cravings (this morning, for example I am eating a McMuffin and an iced coffee drink totalling about 700 calories and am now over my sugar and carb limits for the day, and it is only 8:30). I am just doing whatever I want, regardless of what it my do to my body. This is the way I have been for most of my life, until I started MFP. I really thought I had kicked this way of thinking to the curb, but now I know that isn't the case.

The last little while I am back to feeling drained and have low energy. How do other people handle the "maintenance" phase? Is there really such a thing? What is your daily focus if it isn't losing the weight numbers on the scale?

I don't want to slip back up the scale. But fear doesn't motivate me, I am more likely to turn a blind eye to it or ignore it. I need something positive and happy to focus on.

Thanks,

Katy

Replies

• muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For one, you have to remember how good you felt following the "new way of eating". How healthy good you felt. You have to remember that this is YOUR health and no one but you can control how you handle your eating and keeping healthy.

I always look back to where I had been and determine that I will NOT go back to the way I was...80lbs heavier and eating my way through a bag of Dorito's...

My health and weight are at the best I have seen it at and it took a lot of hard work to get here. I know after having worked so hard to get here, I don't want to go back....That's what you have to remember.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Some are able to maintain without logging....others not so much. I say start logging for a few months to adapt to maintenance. Do not undo all your hard work.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Find yourself another goal. Any part of you that you'd like to be more toned? Focus on that. Runner? Book a race, then you know you have to train. Things like that work for me :)
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what advice to give except to say I'm sorry you are going through this rough time. I had thought that once you reach your goal it would be easier to maintain because you've conquered those food demons. I'm sorry to hear that is not the case. I look to those that reach as reassurance that it gets easier. I had an awful weekend, gave in to some temptations, and paid the price on the scale dearly. I'm really bumbed out about it actually, because it makes me feel like can't hardly treat myself without it having a negative impact.

Very best of luck in this new stage and I sincerely hope that you find your groove!
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think a new goal is a good idea, I just need to find the right one. I added another 10 pounds to my weight loss goal, a few weeks back, but that isn't motivating me at the moment (probably because it was so hard to get this much off, another 10 pounds seems insurmountable...though I know it really isn't). I like the idea of a run or something to work toward. I have been debating getting a gym membership to the fitness center in my building so I can work out at lunch (one of the reasons I have stopped working out is that it has gotten more difficult to do it at home). I hate the cost, but seeing the place everyday may help get me to actually work out.

To the poster who had a bad weekend, please don't give up. For me it was never really about losing weight, it was about learning how to make healthier choices and treating my body to a healthier lifestyle. I went in knowing I wasn't making diet changes, but lifestyle changes, I just need to get back into that groove. I just need to remember that and the fact I went through all this work so I can be healthier for my son. That is still a motivator.

I think I will try again to log in every day. It really did help me when I did it obsessively.

Thanks for the tips and support.

Katy
  • gweid
    gweid Posts: 6
    Options
    My advice: Give yourself credit for all the work you have done and give yourself a break, too. We are so critical on ourselves, but we can't be perfect. So start fresh tomorrow with the goal of clean eating for a day, and just try to get through one day. I have fallen off the wagon for the past week and a half, but I don't really feel bad about it. I just realize that I need to get back to my healthy eating again.