Help with Happy Hour

Options
I am headed out this evening with my co-workers to celebrate 2 birthdays. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to do this without ruining my entire week's worth of calorie counting, etc. I normally do not drink, so I am at a loss for how to keep the calorie and sugar count down. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Drink a martini or bacardi and diet. Stay away from the fruity mix drinks.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Shots! No mixers!
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Wine spritzer? You can get away with it since it's summer. My downfall at happy hour is the food that generally the group gets. good luck!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally drink why do you have to tonight?

Can you not stick to soft drinks?
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Shots
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Shots

every had a *kitten*? magically delicious....
  • lozapiggy
    lozapiggy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My choice is always cherry vodka and diet coke. It tastes like a cherry coke and it's around 100 calories. Cherry vodka is in the food diary. If you try it, let me know how you like it.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options

This is what I am trying to do now when I go out.

Otherwise just get a rum and diet.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    rum and diet soda or light beers have about 100 cals per bottle. Try to limit yourself to one then switch to water :)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i agree with the rum and diet suggestion, however if you don't really drink do you have to drink at this, can you just have one? If you aren't typically a drinker will they be expecting you to have several? The other thing I am somewhat ashamed to admit is that my husband and i go out with our friends frequently and we like to have a good time, sometimes i do not want the calories or jsut do not want the alcohol, but i also do not want to answer all of the questions taht come along with why aren't you drinking? really you're not drinking because of the calories? etc. i ask the bartender (not the table server but the actual bartender) to please give me a diet coke and ask to have it in whatever type of glass they serve the cocktails in, that way i look like i am drinking an alcohol with soda when its really just soda, it saves all the awkward questions and allows me to stay on track. Ive never had a bartender tell me no.
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    While shots are easier per drink on the calories, they don't last long and I've noticed that if I'm at a happy hour and don't constantly have something in my hand, I am given a hard time about it...so I get a lite beer or a glass of wine and slowly sip it to make it last. Otherwise, rum and diet or gin and tonic are good ways to get the calories of a shot and be able to stretch it out...
  • marquesajen
    Options
    You know, water looks suspiciously like a vodka tonic. Soda water?
    Whiskey and diet coke isn't too bad in the calorie department either I think.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options

This was my reaction. Frankly, it would be so passe for someone to point out that you're not drinking and insist that you do. And if they do, you can just tell them you're DD. That usually shuts up the rare rude ones who think everyone should be drinking.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    Flavored Vodka and Club soda
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options

^That's a good question. But if you're asking because you want to have a drink, try vodka and club soda with lime. You can also try some flavored vodka if you want a fruitier flavor. Stay away from tonic though. It adds calories and sugar to the drink. The biggest hit when drinking for me is that I get snacky when I'm buzzed. I'll munch on anything that's around and not think about it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the food at happy hour scares me more than the drinks! Every thing is fried!
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'd say a glass of wine or cider. I usually do white sangria as well which is roughly 100 calories per serve. I agree with getting a drink to sip slowly, I always need something in my hands also!
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not adverse to a good bender, but, you have to go with water in these situations if you're trying to be stringent with your diet.

Alcohol totally inhibits the body's ability to burn fat.