Etiquette- Thank you cards ?

2»

Replies

• momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    I am a firm believer in thank-you notes...the real snail mail kind. I always had my kids send thank you's even when they were very young. Even when they couldn't write their name very well, I would write the note then have them sign it as best they could. Parents set the example but unfortunately most adults don't even bother doing this themselves.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    I dont expect to receive a TY card but I do receive them, but we as a family always send them out. The children do their own seperate cards from us adults. A proper note or card by proper post.

eta - also as a crosstiticher I often do quick cross stitch cards for people to say Thank you, or whatever else.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Personally, I get my 6 yr old to write his own thank you cards for any presents received.

So far I have received thank you cards from all if his friends when we have attended their parties...and I would never expect to receive them anyways...

My son attends a private/independent school, therefore the classes are really small - 12 per class. There's about 70 pupils in the whole school. They all get on and look out for each other in his class, which is nice as events such as birthdays mean that bit more.

I wouldn't worry. Sometimes I find it a little impolite too but I don't expect to receive thank you cards, therefore when we do it's means that bit more.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I have gotten a thank you from each birthday attended this year withing 4 weeks of the party (all 5 and under). My son's party is next weekend and I plan on sending them.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    I was raised to always write thank you cards and am teaching my son to do the same. Some parents nowadays don't do the thank you notes and it does bug me but I guess it's just the day we live in. I do have to say that for more special occasions such as weddings, showers, etc. it is a must no matter what. I know my husband and I were very annoyed when we never got a thank you for the gift we gave his brother and new wife's wedding a couple years ago!
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 290 Member
    I send them for everything!! Everyone of my kids bday parties, they are 2 and 5 and i do them for other things. showing appreciation for things in this day is a lost art. we dont show appreciation for anything or to anyone anymore and that is one reason that our society is so disrespectful! i am raising my kids to be thankful for things and appreciate what others do. BUT i do not look down on others or fault them if they dont do this. i think we need more kindness and appreciation between people in our world.