need help with christmas ideas!

cwjett
cwjett Posts: 189 Member
Ok, this year for my extended family we all opted to not exchange gifts and to adopt a family. Well that is all good but I am wondering when we get together how the kids are going to feel when all we do is have dinner! No gifts to open.....I plan on letting them do some crafts, maybe make ornaments or something but does anyone have any ideas of what we can get the kids involved with to keep their minds off of not getting presents?

Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Ok, this year for my extended family we all opted to not exchange gifts and to adopt a family. Well that is all good but I am wondering when we get together how the kids are going to feel when all we do is have dinner! No gifts to open.....I plan on letting them do some crafts, maybe make ornaments or something but does anyone have any ideas of what we can get the kids involved with to keep their minds off of not getting presents?

Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I don't know how old the kids are, but I would sit them down and have a talk with them about what you are doing instead. Let them help pick out the gifts. We used to sponsers families through my work for xmas and they usually had 3 or 4 kids in them so lots of different ages to buy for. Let them help. Teach them that the meaningof xmas is giving and not receiving.

At the actual dinner let them bring some toys from home or watch a christmas movie. Crafts would be a good idea to or building and decorating a gingerbread house, or xmas cookies. Lots to do. Christmas should never be about getting presents. Teach them that early.
This discussion has been closed.