Bit on GMA this a.m.

Options
They were talking about portion sizes and how some are ridiculous. EX: a "serving" of PAM is a spray that is only 1/4 of a sec. seriously!!! Also the pints of ice cream that are 3-4 servings.

Just a reminder to fully read the labels...and make sure you are measuring/counting your food correctly. It's easy to estimate incorrectly.

We can do this!

Replies

• chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I was shopping w/ my husband who.. SHOCKER... started looking at the labels like I do.

He was so proud coming to me that he compared 2 items and picked the lower cal/sodium one. Then I showed him he has to also look at the serving size and he was astonished to see that the one he though was better was nearly 1/4 less in serving size then the "bad" one. He said that was sneaky sneaky sneaky ... I agree.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I try to keep all meals down to the size of my fist (except last night night when my spaghetti was beyond amazing) to control portions. I dislike the way things are portioned out. My hubby says I cheat myself out of food by over estimating but honestly it has to be better than underestimating.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a scale for my birthday (So many people thought that was so terrible but I really really wanted the scale and wouldn't buy it for myself). WOW... I noticed that once I started weighing my food that I grossly misjudged the serving sizes and I started to finally see some weight loss.
  • kjpollard
    Options
    they nutritionist they had on there was pushing to have a "total calorie" content on things that ppl would likely eat all of...like ice cream pints, candy bars, small bags of chips. etc. I can't say I think it's a bad idea. Would shock a bunch of ppl.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    they nutritionist they had on there was pushing to have a "total calorie" content on things that ppl would likely eat all of...like ice cream pints, candy bars, small bags of chips. etc. I can't say I think it's a bad idea. Would shock a bunch of ppl.

Shock is good! :smile: The portion sizes in this country are out of CONTROL! Last weekend my friend and I went to the movies. It's the only time I'll treat myself to a soda. I ordered a small and she ordered a medium. We were both SHOCKED because my small looked like the large size we'd see as a kid and her medium was just huge! We couldn't imagine with the large soda looked like! Must have been as big as the large popcorn bucket! It's no wonder the waistlines in the US (and much of the developed world) are getting bigger!
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    portion distortion - I remember seeing how the size of a soda has grown over the years it was amazing to think that now 32oz is some how a "normal" size.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Once I started using a food scale, I too, was shocked by my "eye-balling" over estimations! One thing in particular was cereal. I couldn't believe the serving size of a lot of cereals but surprisingly enough, I find the portion listed to be sufficient. Go figure!

I have noticed some food items and drinks in particular (20 oz bottles of Coke, for example) have started listing the product as a 2 or more servings or what you are consuming if you drink the whole thing in one sitting. I love Coke, but even I can't drink a 20 oz bottle! Actually, when I really want one (since I'm not partial to artificial sweeteners) I buy the little 90 calories ones & they are just perfect!
  • kjpollard
    Options
    Once I started using a food scale, I too, was shocked by my "eye-balling" over estimations! One thing in particular was cereal. I couldn't believe the serving size of a lot of cereals but surprisingly enough, I find the portion listed to be sufficient. Go figure!

I have noticed some food items and drinks in particular (20 oz bottles of Coke, for example) have started listing the product as a 2 or more servings or what you are consuming if you drink the whole thing in one sitting. I love Coke, but even I can't drink a 20 oz bottle! Actually, when I really want one (since I'm not partial to artificial sweeteners) I buy the little 90 calories ones & they are just perfect!

The small cans do seem to be enough when I want a taste. If I get a regular sized can, the last bit seems to be warm by the time I get around to it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've actually been seeing more and more of this, even on larger sized packages. It's definitely a good change.