BMR??

Options
So I heard recently that you are supposed to eat as many calories per day as your BMR? I just want to know if this is true for all people??

Your estimated BMR is: 1,725 calories/day*
I don't think I could eat that much per day!! Right now I am at 1200 / day and I eat my exercise calories...but I don't think I could bring myself to eat 1725 calories plus exercise calories...that just doesn't seem right to me! :huh:

Replies

• Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So I heard recently that you are supposed to eat as many calories per day as your BMR? I just want to know if this is true for all people??

Your estimated BMR is: 1,725 calories/day*
    I don't think I could eat that much per day!! Right now I am at 1200 / day and I eat my exercise calories...but I don't think I could bring myself to eat 1725 calories plus exercise calories...that just doesn't seem right to me! :huh:
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    :frown:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    my BMR is around 1500, I eat around 1350 so I don't know if it's true or not but I havn't been and I feel fine... it's been 8 mths.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I think MFP needs to change this terminology. BMR is the number of calories you'd burn in a day doing NOTHING, not even sitting. You'd have to be in a coma to only be burning your BMR.

So, when MFP asks you what your activity level is, and then multiplies your BMR by that activity factor, it's no longer your BMR. At that point it becomes your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

You shouldn't eat less than your BMR, which is a fairly low number in most people. You can eat less than your BMR, which is what MFP gives you when you add your activity level.

So I had my BMR tested with a machine that measures my oxygen consumption, which is really the only way to closely estimate it. I burn about 1,265 calories per day just to keep my organs functioning. I burn about 1700-1800 per day *without exercise*, but with my normal activity. On rest days, my TDEE is 1700-1800 calories. On workout days, my TDEE increases to about 2300 calories. My BMR stays at 1,265 while my TDEE changes. I don't eat less than 1265 a day, but I do eat less than 1700-2300 a day.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think MFP needs to change this terminology. BMR is the number of calories you'd burn in a day doing NOTHING, not even sitting. You'd have to be in a coma to only be burning your BMR.

So, when MFP asks you what your activity level is, and then multiplies your BMR by that activity factor, it's no longer your BMR. At that point it becomes your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

You shouldn't eat less than your BMR, which is a fairly low number in most people. You can eat less than your BMR, which is what MFP gives you when you add your activity level.

So I had my BMR tested with a machine that measures my oxygen consumption, which is really the only way to closely estimate it. I burn about 1,265 calories per day just to keep my organs functioning. I burn about 1700-1800 per day *without exercise*, but with my normal activity. On rest days, my TDEE is 1700-1800 calories. On workout days, my TDEE increases to about 2300 calories. My BMR stays at 1,265 while my TDEE changes. I don't eat less than 1265 a day, but I do eat less than 1700-2300 a day.

Wow. You rock! And I thought I was being accurate using a HRM . . . :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Wow. You rock! And I thought I was being accurate using a HRM . . . :laugh:

Oh HRM's are accurate for telling you your HR hehe. :wink: They come close to what you burn, but unfortunately since they don't measure oxygen consumption, they still estimate. But it's better than the MFP values since it takes your intensity level into account.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet, that was not only interesting but easy to understand. Thanks! not only this post but all the other ones that you share your knowledge with us.
    Kelly
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet, that was not only interesting but easy to understand. Thanks! not only this post but all the other ones that you share your knowledge with us.
    Kelly

Thank you! I'm glad to help and love to teach things when I can. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Oops I have to make an edit. I meant to say:

You shouldn't eat less than your BMR. You can eat less than your TDEE, which is what MFP gives you when it multiplies it by your activity factor.

It still sort of made sense, but not 100% hehe :blushing:
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Thank you for that! It really cleared things up for me! :flowerforyou: