Apple Cider Vinegar with "The Mother"

Options
I've read numerous articles of how raw, natural apple cider vinegar helps with weight loss..namely one that contains "The Mother"...has anyone on this site tried it?? I've recently purchased some because of the health benefits to my chickens, and thought maybe I should give it a go! The brand name is Bragg's, and I found it at a grocery store (can't believe they actually carried it!) I may start it Monday. I've read some pretty good stuff about it. :)

Replies

• ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What is "The Mother" ?
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not real sure - I know I've read that the weight loss will be gradual - as it is with my current diet - and my current diet (eating right and exercising) works well for me.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    From what I gather, it's a fungus that contributes to the "raw" process. It supposedly has many bacteria fighting benefits.
  • lissypriss
    Options
    If anything, I wouldn't mind trying it for the health benefits in fighting infections! :)
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i bought the same brand, and i drink it in the morning when i wake up , i add 1tsp of vinegar on a glass of water and 1tsp of honey...i think it helps control appetite a little.....but i didnt really see much difference, i mean i did in the appetite part but i was also eating healthy and thats why i lost most of my weight.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My mom drinks raw unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar every day (diluted in water so it's not hard on the teeth). She loves it and says it helps her digestion, among other things.

I am going to try it.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I would think of it as a supplement. I don't know the affects on weight loss as I haven't tried it, but it is supposed to be good for you for many things. I've taken some when I've had sinus congestion with pain and it's helped alleviate the pressure.
  • vibrant80
    vibrant80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What is "The Mother" ?
    It's all the gross-looking floaty stuff that they strain out of regular ACV.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I use it, but more for the health benefits than the weight loss. I follow the "recipe" on the Bragg's bottle and do 8 oz of water with 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey. Some people complain about the taste, but when I use that recipe I actually really like the taste! I'm a fan of sour/bitter stuff though (I like to eat pickled garlic, just as an example), so I'm probably not the most reliable source about the taste. :) I do think that the teaspoon of honey makes it taste better though, and honey has its own health benefits too so it's a win win!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    From what I gather, it's a fungus that contributes to the "raw" process. It supposedly has many bacteria fighting benefits.

Oh cool! Very interesting.
  • epnfrn
    epnfrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "The Mother" is the acetobacter that makes vinegar from the alcohol in apple cider (or same goes for wine, malt, etc). It is a bacteria itself, not a fungus. It produces a cellulose layer over the fluid (the "goss floaty stuff" as one person posted) which is what people associate with the "mother." Basically consuming vinegar with the mother means you are consuming a live culture of bacteria, much like you do with yogurt for example, so i imagine health benefits for your gastrointestinal system are similar.
  • lissypriss
    Options
    Since I started my weight loss, I've changed the way I eat. Found out that aspartame had been causing my daily hives that I've suffered from for years! We now have our own chickens, feed them organic and natural feed, and use fresh eggs. I've stopped buying sodas for the family, and everyone is actually feeling better! I've got a long way to go to be able to convince my 11 yr old that green is good, since he was brought up on junk, but he's learning how natural is better! If adding the raw cider vinegar will help our systems, I'm all for it! :)
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Tried it. I love vinegar, but that stuff was God-awful. I drink green tea instead, that helps with my appetite and digestion much better.
  • jjkissinger
    Options
    I have found there are no ingredients, pills, teas, or even colon-washes that work. The significant element in weight loss is reduction of calories. Even going to the gym is not as effective as reducing your calorie intake and I do both. I would go to the gym faithfully and eat everything telling myself that I was burning it off. Wrong!
    Find the foods that fill and satisfy you while staying at your calorie goals and you’ll lose. You'll probably gravitate to an Atkins type diet of lean meats and vegetables.
    It is simple concept, but not necessarily easy.
    Jim