Healthy eating adds $380 to yearly grocery bill, study shows

Options
This study was done in an area that includes people in Seattle who are among the wealthiest and most educated so the price of $380 might be a little high for other areas, but it brings up a lot of good points.

However, I think $380 is a small price to pay per year when you look at doctor's bills and prescriptions.

Article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44013462/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/healthy-eating-adds-yearly-grocery-bill-study-shows/

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    so agree. It's worth it
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    *bump
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I read that report today......makes it even more worthwhile to read the sale ads for stores and go to farmers market while I can (live in MN). I agree...worth more to feel better and be healthy!!!!
  • crobinson53
    Options
    It's just money...
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing!
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    hmm, I use to live on Ramen Noodles before 'healthy eating' these figures don't apply to me. I spend aloooot more now, trying to avoid such things.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    However, I think $380 is a small price to pay per year when you look at doctor's bills and prescriptions.

This.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I spend $100-150 a month on groceries for 2 people, eating healthy is CHEAP if you know how to shop.

People spending more to eat healthy aren’t buying appropriate seasonal vegetables or aren't shopping at the best stores. Price matching at Walmart and No Frills means I only go to 1 grocery store a week and do not have to run all over town to get the best prices.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It was EXACTLY what I was going to say.... the grocery bill may go up $380, but I can't remember the last time I had a cold.... or a need to see an MD. Totally worth the investment!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Worth every $ and 380 seems small
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it takes into account that I eat less now that I'm eating healthy and portion controlling (i.e., 4 oz of ground turkey instead of 6 - 8 oz on ground beef in a burger)
  • devineyallen
    Options
    Wow that is cheap! I guess i am not a good shopper! I can never leave the store with less than 100 bucks and usually lasts about 2 weeks for 2 people!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I spend $100-150 a month on groceries for 2 people, eating healthy is CHEAP if you know how to shop.

People spending more to eat healthy aren’t buying appropriate seasonal vegetables or aren't shopping at the best stores. Price matching at Walmart and No Frills means I only go to 1 grocery store a week and do not have to run all over town to get the best prices.

I want to shop where you're shopping . . .
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Worth every $ and 380 seems small

$380 is for one person.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article and I thought that it neglected to address the fact that, as a country, Americans typically spend a remarkably SMALL portion of our income on food. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I believe we have gotten used to assuming that we should be able to feed ourselves and our family on, like, 5% of our incomes. But of course, all that cheap food is typically full of empty calories. So, then when we turn around and go to buy vegetables and whole foods, we think "OMG! This is sooooo expensive!" (I do it too). And, well, you get what you pay for! Spending so little on food certainly doesn't seem to be doing much for our health!

Edit: Here's a graphic with the figures I was thinking about: http://www.visualizing.org/visualizations/how-much-our-spending-goes-toward-food

It looks as though Americans typically spend just under 7% on their spending (not necessarily income...) on food compared to over 30%, for example, in China.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's so true. There is no price compare to the healthy way that we are living now and yes paying for all those pills and doctor visits is way more expensive :-) Living healthy has no price :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be more expensive but, there are some ways to offset it. Get to know your local produce stand owner. Usually they'll make you deals on the produce that's about to be pulled from the shelves. Also, look into CSA or delivery programs. I have organic produce delivered to my house and pay $33 for about 15ish pounds of fruits and veggies.

I'm also a huge proponent of saving in other places so I can pay more for food. Making my own laundry and dish detergent costs 3 cents/load. Making my own hand soap is about $3.50/gallon. The best part is it's super easy and saves a lot of packaging so the environment thanks me. Want the recipes? Let me know.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    hmm, I use to live on Ramen Noodles before 'healthy eating' these figures don't apply to me. I spend aloooot more now, trying to avoid such things.

That's Exactly right. With the trend in clean eating, manufacturers charge a premium for things which are better for us. A loaf of white bread might be $0.99 where as a loaf made with Pure Whole Grains is $4.00! (CDN) If you're being a stickler, you really need to do alot of label reading when shopping, which does lead to a higher bill in the long run.

Granted, $380 bucks in a year is only $30.00 a month which is less than what most people spend on one dinner eating out so it's a worthwhile trade.

Ironically, centuries ago, things like Refined Flours and White sugars and such were reserved for Nobility and the Rich, while the peasants and common folks were stuck with the whole grains and unprocessed food. Funny how now that we know better, the opposite is true with Whole Grains and organic food being double or triple the cost of processed items. :-)
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's $380 a year - $31.67 a month - $15.84 every 2 weeks... I bet most of us spent more than $15.84 on fast food every 2weeks before we started eating healthy. Well worth the extra money to save my life.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

^^ This. Healthy eating doesn't *HAVE* to be ridiculously expenisive. You just have to shop smart and not buy into all the fads.

This part of the longer associated press version of the article says it all:
    But Monsivais may have oversimplified the problem, according to another professor who does research in this area. Parke Wilde, associated professor at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University, said it's not expensive to get all the nutrients a body needs to meet the federal guidelines.

What is expensive, in Wilde's opinion, are the choices Americans make while getting those nutrients.

He said diets get more and more expensive depending on how many rules a person applies to himself, such as eating organic or seeking local sources for food or eating vegetables out of season.

"The longer your list gets, the more expensive your list will be," he said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015814645_apusexpensivediet.html