What to do when it is your birthday!!!

Options
EVERYONE! I'm turning one year older, and all my friends can say is, I'll make you a cake!! I'll bring cake, let's have cake at lunchtime, what is your favourite cake?!

And I'm FREAKING!! Because I can't eat cake if I'm going to stick to my calorie budget...

I'm a if you pop you can't stop type eater, so 'having a little bit' just isn't going to work...

WHAT TO DO???!

Replies

• Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My b-day is coming up soon too, and I am just going to make sure I get a good bit of exercise in before the fun begins. I prolly will be over my cals that day, but it's only one day....
  • jenniferfelice
    Options
    I figure it's just one day and as long as you do a fair bit of exercise beforehand the damage shouldn't be too bad. I'm hoping this is true because my birthday is on Tuesday and I am hoping that all the bday food won't effect the progress too much :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    First, do your normal exercise routine to make yourself feel better. Then, eat the cake. Better yet, ask for one cupcake with a candle in it. Choose your favorite flavor and enjoy! Everything in moderation...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I celebrate and screw my cal goal. I just had mine on saturday, and went to the cheesecake factory and had hummus with pita bread, and cheesecake. The whole piece. Banana for breakfast, with greek yogurt, and pb+j for dinner.
    It's ONE day, so dont worry. but don't make it a birthday week..
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For my birthday 2 weeks ago, I went out to a healthy lunch with coworkers, I requested a low cal home-cooked dinner (seafood), I worked out in the AM, and DH brought me a fruit tart for dessert (instead of cake).

I went a little over in cals, but not as terrible it could've been.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your cake!!

Today is my 10 yr anniversary, I made a 3 leches cake last night that you bet I plan to have a slice or 2. My hubby says he's gonna eat ALOT of it too. And we're going to a nice fancy dinner. I don't want to have a gain this week so I'll just work extra hard tonight (before date) and the rest of the week.

Birthdays, anniversaries, special occasions are part of life. Just work out till you can't anymore and enjoy!!!
  • runninglol
    runninglol Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just make wise food choices the rest of the day.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy and have the cake. As long as you are not eating cake every day it is not going to hurt to have a piece of cake once in a while. If you are concerned about going over the amount of calories you can have just do some extra exercise!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Slice a cold watermelon in half, stick candles in it and enjoy a piece of guilt free happiness!
  • mssygayle
    mssygayle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    tell them you want an edible fruit boquet then share
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Its your B-day, it only comes around once a year so why not? Eat your cake and enjoy it too!! What I did last year was I stuffed myself all day with salads (no dressing or cheese or oil) so come cake time I had like 1000 calories left and oh yea, it all went to the cake :D
  • catism
    catism Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My birthday was yesterday. I went out for cupcakes with friends and had an great unsweetened ice tea instead of a cupcake. It helps that I can't have wheat-gluten, but still...I thought I could reward myself with something else I love--french fries! However, I thought about how temporary that would be. The fries would be gone, I wouldn't feel full yet, I would just want some more and that would be a bummer. So, instead, my husband made me a healthy dinner (my fave...Caprese salad) and I was too full for the watermelon he had gotten me for dessert. I worked out, I made my calorie goal and I thoroughly enjoyed my birthday with only a slight thought as to eating something unhealthy. I'm training for a 1/2 Ironman and empty calories mean nothing.
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would find a recipe for a healthier type cake and just tell them that is what you would like or you could eat a fuller meal and then you won't want that much cake? Good luck :-)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Birthdays tend to last all week in my house - gotta celebrate with the friends (and since DH and I have some friends that are "his", some that are "mine" and some that are mutual, that could be 3 different outings!) and family - his parents and my parents - and of course our own private celebration. So...yeah. It can get ugly. But you know what? That's life. If I did that every day or every week, it would be bad and I'd gain a bunch of weight back. But it's not. He has one birthday a year and I have one birthday a year. For two weeks out of 52 I can go over my calories.

Enjoy the cake and enjoy the birthday. Don't skimp on the icing...but don't skimp on your workouts, either. :)
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Celebrating next week's birthday this Saturday... I plan on eating and drinking whatever the hell I want. I'm busting my *kitten* every weekday between bootcamp and marathon training - I am going to relax and not worry about going over any totals of anything.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE! I'm turning one year older, and all my friends can say is, I'll make you a cake!! I'll bring cake, let's have cake at lunchtime, what is your favourite cake?!

And I'm FREAKING!! Because I can't eat cake if I'm going to stick to my calorie budget...

I'm a if you pop you can't stop type eater, so 'having a little bit' just isn't going to work...

WHAT TO DO???!

Here is what I did. I made my OWN cake.

I buy a boxed lemon cake mix (low fat if I can find it, but I've recenty had trouble with that) and rather than following the directions, add ONLY one cup of diet 7-Up and fresh lemon zest. Bake as directed and when it's cool, top with 1 container of fat free cool whip. Cut the cake into 12 pieces - it is super moist and very tasty and only 192 calories and 2 grams of fat per piece.

Or, instead of the cool whip, which some people don't like, you can take about 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 TBSP of skim milk and the juice from the lemon you zested, mix it together, and when the cake is cool, poke a bunch of holes in the top with a wooden kebab skewer and drizzle that over the top .... and that only bumps the calories from 192 to 200 with still just 2 grams of fat.

I take this to functions and don't tell anyone it healthier than normal ... and I have never take any home :)
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I was soooo good for soooo long
    I feel of the wagon for 2wks because of it
    Had cake with the family
    then with friend
    then was vacation time, ate well, but had to include dessert I never tried before

glad to say I am brack on track, but beware you might fall out of wack if you cave
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options

WHAT TO DO???!

Bump. Sounds good. Must try.

Here is what I did. I made my OWN cake.

I buy a boxed lemon cake mix (low fat if I can find it, but I've recenty had trouble with that) and rather than following the directions, add ONLY one cup of diet 7-Up and fresh lemon zest. Bake as directed and when it's cool, top with 1 container of fat free cool whip. Cut the cake into 12 pieces - it is super moist and very tasty and only 192 calories and 2 grams of fat per piece.

Or, instead of the cool whip, which some people don't like, you can take about 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 TBSP of skim milk and the juice from the lemon you zested, mix it together, and when the cake is cool, poke a bunch of holes in the top with a wooden kebab skewer and drizzle that over the top .... and that only bumps the calories from 192 to 200 with still just 2 grams of fat.

I take this to functions and don't tell anyone it healthier than normal ... and I have never take any home :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Next Thursday is my birthday and thats gunna be a rest day for me..only plans are: A few slices of cake perhaps, dinner with my fiancee, and a ice cream visit to a ice cream parlor..when it comes to celebrating your birthday, and your generally working hard, give yourself a break and say the hell with the calories..get back on track as soon as you can. :bigsmile:
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What do you do? Enjoy it - guilt free! Then right back to normal. It is no biggie!