Confused about zig-zagging...

Options
So my weight-loss came to a roaring halt about a month and a half ago. I tried everything (minus exercise because I have on medical restriction). Nothing seemed to work. I ate less, I ate more fiber, I ate more fruit....every week was a different trial. And I lost maybe a pound somewhere in there but that was it. Grrr.

Then I read somewhere about zig-zagging calories...eat 200-300 cals below your daily goal for 2 days, then eat at maintenance level for a day...and repeat.

Well, I didn't set myself for maintenance...I set it for losing 1lb/per week, which gave me 1410 calories a day (210 calories more than I had been eating at 2lbs/week). So I eat 1000-1100 cals for 2 days and then 1400-1500 cals on day 3....and repeat. It work for the first cycle and I had lost about .8lbs in 3 days...but now I'm up 1.2lbs!

I don't know that much about zig-zagging...so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Well, actually, I KNOW I am because it's not working! Or am I just too impatient? I need to lose 35-40lbs still...so I'm not sure why nothing is coming off...HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• whitejessamine
    Options
    I think when you do that, on the higher intake days you need to raise it so your average caloric intake is at your goal. So, if your goal was 1400, you could do 1200 for a day or two, then a day at 1600, and it would average out right. Otherwise, you're still not getting enough calories. Hope that helps!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that every BODY is different & it will just take some time (more than you could ever imagine) to find what works for YOURS.... Personally, this particular little unit needs to STARVE for a few days & NEVER go beyond about 1200 calories EVER + be extremely active. Nothing else works. And - as you can well imagine, this is very tiresome to keep up with. So I tend to have good months & bad months. Good Luck!
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a few ideas about this (I do zig-zagging as well!)

1) How often are you weighing yourself? The scale will fluctuate between 2-3lbs during the week, so it could be that when you stepped on the scale it was reflecting the change mid-week?

2) Since reading a few posts in this section of the message boards, it's become clear to me how dangerous and unecessary it is to eat under 1,200 cals. I would suggest zig-zagging + 200-250 cals from 1,200 and UP not down.

Ultimately, you want the weight off, but do you want it to be temporary or a permanent lifestyle? These things take time just like it did to put the weight there in the first place. Find other things in the meantime to keep you feeling positive about yourself. I find measurements are a great way to be proud of little accomplishments!

You and I are in the same boat as far as not being able to exercise, add me as a friend and we can support one another!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I try to eat so that my AVERAGE over the week is 1200. Some days its about 800 - 900 and others its 1600. Your food diary is not open, so I don't know what your food quality looks like. Try to limit processed foods and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Veggies are much lower in sugars than fruits, so limit yourself to 2-3 servings of fruits a day. Good luck!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I tore my ACL and am on limited exercise, too. I'm going to try the zig-zagging technique this week and see if it shakes things up a little bit. Thanks for the advice!