Protein levels in the red!

GreenGettingLean
GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
I don't have much trouble staying within my calorie, carb, sodium, or fat levels, but protein ALWAYS seems to be in the red! My OCD brain gets very upset seeing that ugly red number next to the pretty green ones. Is this really a huge issue? For what it's worth, I do tend to stick to healthy cuts of meat such as grilled chicken breasts or lean lunch meats. It's not like I'm eating a bacon covered steak everyday. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    It doesnt matter whether you eat lean meats or not protein is in all meats! My daily goal for protein is 125g.
    I do strength training 3 times a week so aim for 1g per lb of lean body weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    It does matter whether you eat lean meats or not protein is in all meats! My daily goal for protein is 125g.
    MFP's protein goal is pretty low. You can change your personal goal, easily, by clicking "Goals" when on the "My Home" tab.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    It does matter whether you eat lean meats or not protein is in all meats! My daily goal for protein is 125g.
    MFP's protein goal is pretty low. You can change your personal goal, easily, by clicking "Goals" when on the "My Home" tab.

I had to do that since I strength train every other day. I switched mine to either 25% or 30% just not to see that ugly red number.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    I wouldn't worry about too much protein. I'm always over. My MFP goal is 85g I shoot for 185. Protein will help build muscle among other good things. So don't sweat it unless it gives you unbearable gas.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    I don't think I have ever hit the MFP protein goals. Especially with a 2 on 1 off strength training routine in which I take post workout protein with.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    I had no idea I could manually change it - thanks for the tip!
  • Just something to keep in mind- while you definitely want to make sure you get enough protein, there is such a thing as too much protein- it can really destroy your kidneys over time.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Just something to keep in mind- while you definitely want to make sure you get enough protein, there is such a thing as too much protein- it can really destroy your kidneys over time.

While I imagine that it is possible at HUGE intake levels. Do you have a source for that information?
  • bump

I have a problem meeting my macronutrient needs everyday, especially after working out and the numbers increase. argghh
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    I actually try to go red in protein since I do a fair amount of weight training and try to eat as much good protein as I can. I wouldn't worry about going over since MFP's automatic limit is so low, but if the red really bothers you, just manually adjust it as others have suggested.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    You don't need 1 gm per lb of body weight, but a little extra is fine.
  • prohpet
    prohpet Posts: 3
    Just do some weight lifting, put that extra protein to good use...you'll be fine.
This discussion has been closed.