Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I am in the market for a heart rate monitor (I have never used one before) and would love some feedback on the strapless HRMs. Are they worth it? Accurate? Or should I stick with a model that requires the chest strap?

If you have any specific models you absolutely love or think I should stay away from, I'd love that feedback as well!

Thank you!

Replies

• CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Stick with a chest strap. They are way more accurate than the strapless kinds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Not as accurate.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I recommend a chest strap. They are much more accurate. I have the Polar FT7 and love it. Very simple to use and not super expensive. Less then $100 at most places. I think I paid about $70 for it.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    get the chest strap. Since you are a girl, you'll already be wearing a sports bra, and won't even notice the strap if that was your concern....

I personally use the Suunto T3d and love it. A lot of people on here will recommend the Polar FT4 or FT7, both of which are good as well....
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Get the chest strap.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yup, get the strap! I tried one without the strap first. It was a pain because you have to put your fingers on it to let it get your heart rate. Not a big deal but not something you really want to in the middle of exercising. You want to be able to just glance at your wrist and see what your heart rate is.

I returned my HRM watch w/out strap and got the Polar FT7.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Chest Strap for sure!

Look into the Polar FT4 or FT7.. I have the FT7 and love it!
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have one that you can use with a chest strap or without and I love it!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you can wear a bra you can wear a chest strap. They are significantly more accurate.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    If you just want your heart rate it really doesn't matter, but if you want calorie counting without the chest strap they are useless. Get one with a chest strap. I have a Sportline with chest strap I got at Wal-mart, but intend to upgrade when I have the money to a Polar.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks VERY much for the feedback. I'm just really curious on my actual calories burned since the database on here, while helpful, doesn't seem to be accurate . . or the gym equipment I'm on is way off . . .
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    strapless is pointless. They are not accurate AT ALL. Infact if my cleitns have them I tell them not to even bother wearing it. This is an affordable ooption that I reccomend to my cleitns http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312477461&sr=8-1. Plus it has a calorie counter.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    strapless is pointless. They are not accurate AT ALL. Infact if my cleitns have them I tell them not to even bother wearing it. This is an affordable ooption that I reccomend to my cleitns http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312477461&sr=8-1. Plus it has a calorie counter.

Wow--that is affordable! Do you find it to be accurate and easy to use? Durable, or will I need to replace it?