too young to be healthy???

Options

Replies

• brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i agree about body issues on this one...for someone who has had an ED...at age 7 you shouldnt care about lowfat this low sugar that....you can eat healthy and still have the regular items not stuff that is motified...
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options

If a 7 year old is concerned about that kind of thing that you described, I am sensing a huge red flag over body image issues. As a gambling man, I'd bet heavy that by the time puberty hits, that kid is going to have developed an eating disorder. It's def. not normal for a 7yo to be obsessing over fat content. IMO.

Totally agree. Mine get a healthy diet of proteins, carbs and dairy with loads of fruit and veg but I don't buy them low-fat anything. They barely sit still for a minute and need certain fats for good brain development. I also never buy sugar-free juice as I try and avoid them having artificial sweetener. Luckily they prefer water to juice anyway. :smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My kid would absolutely NOT be getting it at age 7 as I don't think the chemical or sugar substitutes added to low-fat or reduced fat are healthy - particularly not for children. Unless a child has a problem with obesity and is advised to do so by a doctor I would absolutely not purchase such things for my child.

Sugar free, on the other hand, we already aim for.

Natural sugar in something like juice, actually yeah. You said that better. I don't go for "added sugar" things, but just - normal, natural foods.

Agreed (although I don't have kids). "Low-fat" doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Who knows? Maybe the mother read the label & didn't like the ingredients. Also, we all know that just because something is labeled as "low-fat" doesn't mean it really is. I don't aim for sugar free, but I do aim for no sugar added.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I give my kids a lot of reduced fat stuff, but I never give them sugar free. I don't feel confident that the artificial sweeteners are safe for them. They get full fat milk and I don't by any means make them eat not "like kids" They get their junk food and mac n cheese :)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    are you sure she knew what she was choosing...My 2 year old pics up and begs for some crazy stuff at the grocery store and he doesn't know what the heck it is...maybe she liked the picture on the box.

I agree it's never too early, though
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Was there by any chance a picture of Dora or Cars or something else on there that the child was fixated on rather than the fact that is was low-fat/sugar free? I have had my kids ask for the strangest things that they have never tried because of what was on the box. Also, if they saw a commercial for a product, they will always try to get it because the commercial people can't lie right? I don't agree with the mom's answer, but her reason for asking could be from any number of sources.
  • mcottle292
    Options
    I think it's a weird reply for sure because kids should be taught healthy eating habits so they become lifelong habits. However, I don't think that lowfat/sugar-free, etc, are healthy choices because generally other stuff is put in to replace the sugar,etc. I think moderation is really what needs to be taught and learned. In my opinion, the real stuff is better than the altered stuff - in moderation and correct portion size.

agreed!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy low-fat or reduced-fat stuff for my kids. Fat is brain food. Low-fat does not mean healthy.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    are you sure she knew what she was choosing...My 2 year old pics up and begs for some crazy stuff at the grocery store and he doesn't know what the heck it is...maybe she liked the picture on the box.

I agree it's never too early, though

she kept saying sugar free or fat free or something along those lines and the mom flat out told her no, she's a kid and needs to be a kid. But, in all honesty, I had not thought about the fact that the little girl could have an ED or anything along those lines. Had I thought of that, I would not have thought it so strange.....
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Was there by any chance a picture of Dora or Cars or something else on there that the child was fixated on rather than the fact that is was low-fat/sugar free? I have had my kids ask for the strangest things that they have never tried because of what was on the box. Also, if they saw a commercial for a product, they will always try to get it because the commercial people can't lie right?

Totally why I do my best to shop without the three footer with me *LOL*
  • kellydharriso
    Options
    When I was little, I loved the low fat whole wheat crackers and baked lays chips that my friend always had in her lunchbox at school. When I asked for them at home, I was given the same answer the kid in your story got. I was given the most fattening full fat food known to man (I'm serious, like an entire bag of chips and burgers for lunch daily). My mother just couldn't or wouldn't see the future effeccts of what she was doing to me....Needless to say, now I'm over 200 lbs because of my addiction to sugar and fatty foods I developed as a child. Oh yeah, I saw my long lost friend the other day and of course we all know she was awesome and totally in shape. I think kids need to be taught at a young age to choose healthy foods, your never too young to be healthy!!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Really, this is a difficult topic. Too young to be healthy? Of course there's no such thing. But let's look at where the mother was possibly coming from.

Weight is a BIG topic these days, especially when it comes to children. While I am all for the attempt to battle the childhood obesity epidemic, I also have a lot of concern about how vocal this issue has become. Not because it should be hidden, but because children hear everything, and everything they hear when they're younger sticks in their heads and can have unforeseen repercussions.

In this case, I would have bought the low fat. But I would have bought the low fat anyway, without needing prompting from my child. The sad thing is that, at 7 years old, she really is ripe to start developing body image issues and eating disorders. Many people who have suffered from eating disorders will tell you that this is about the age when the thoughts and negativity and proclivities started taking root.

So for me, I look at the mother's response and wonder if it wasn't rooted in fear. Fear that says, my young daughter is is concerned about her weight. She is too young to start developing concern, I don't want her to worry. I want her to be a happy child.

Was her reaction to her own fear appropriate (if, in fact, it was fear that spurred it)? No, I don't think so. I think this is a time to talk (casually) about healthy choices and to pick up the low fat version. Children this age want to be talked to and made to understand, not brushed off for being children. Make it clear to the little girl that it is a good thing to be healthy, but steer clear of weight and ask some kind questions to see what's going on with her daughter. Did she see something on tv that prompted it? Was it something someone said?

I should make it clear -- I am not a mother, so maybe this isn't my place. But I've always felt like a mother to my (significantly) younger siblings, and I've had to talk health with my younger sister before.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Was there by any chance a picture of Dora or Cars or something else on there that the child was fixated on rather than the fact that is was low-fat/sugar free? I have had my kids ask for the strangest things that they have never tried because of what was on the box. Also, if they saw a commercial for a product, they will always try to get it because the commercial people can't lie right? I don't agree with the mom's answer, but her reason for asking could be from any number of sources.

lol, very well could have been. I wasn't watching them, just heard them. She said she would buy her one, but not all of the stuff she bought would be, so who knows?

For the record, my kids eat in moderation, so if they want fat-free, sugar-free, chalk full of sugar, etc. they can have it, because they will also eat healthier stuff like fresh fruits and veggies, etc. So, they might ask for Cheetos and an apple...Have at it.

I'm not for or against that mom (who did not appear to be the most healthy person in the world, but who am I to judge), just thought it to be strange, was all.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My daughter's friend is as skinny as can be and was talking about getting skinnier than their friend. She doesn't eat a lot at all and is worried about her weight. Now at 9 years old I do see worrying about weight a being a problem especially when she is actually super skinny. She also scammed the calorie and fat intake on things she ate. I was shocked. Now if the lady was turning the kid down for fruit & veggies I would have thought the same thing. I agree that fat free & lower fat products maybe lower in fat but they do have a lot of other chemicals in them and is not even really "healthy". I read the box of instant mashed potatoes and couldn't believe how much stuff was in them. I am not a person who has to have everything 100% but lately have been transforming. My daughter loves Coke she claims she can't go a day without drinking one. She says she will drink diet pop instead but I believe that is worse for her! I just am getting her out of the habit all together. Neither is a good choice but in reality I would rather have her drink the regular coke.

I don't believe anyone is really too young to eat healthy at all but different people have different ideas of what is healthy and what is not :)
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the mother chose her words wrong.. I bet she doesn't want her daughter to become "obsessed" with food that early, perhaps the mother is on a diet, or been struggling to keep fit, and to be honest I would worry that my child would be developing an eating disorder that early!! so I bet she meant "you're too young to be worried about dieting". To be healthy is not to choose the light/diet/sugar-free version of something,but to replace it with fruits or vegetables instead.

However, What I've heard is that all these low-fat, sugar free and light versions tend to be worse than the actual thing itself. Why? because you think you're doing something right eating them, so instead of eating a small portion of whatever you want to eat, you end up eating a larger one because you think it's not so bad for your health. It happens with tobacco as well, it's got less nicotine, therefore instead of smoking only one to calm you down, you need two or three... in the end you end up smoking twice as much. The only thing that is bad for a healthy balanced diet is too eat too much of the same thing.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Too young to be healthy? No.

Too young to be so concerned with body image that they want all the processed artificially reduced fat/reduced sugar stuff? YES!

My kids are very thin and pretty darn healthy. I don't buy them reduced fat or reduced sugar stuff unless 1) I'm buying it for me too and we're sharing or 2) it's NATURALLY that way. There is no reason that *my kids* can't have full fat cheese or regular potato chips or regular granola cereal. I do buy them lots of "naturally" reduced stuff - like no-sugar-added applesauce and no-sugar-added jam/jelly.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    When I was little, I loved the low fat whole wheat crackers and baked lays chips that my friend always had in her lunchbox at school. When I asked for them at home, I was given the same answer the kid in your story got. I was given the most fattening full fat food known to man (I'm serious, like an entire bag of chips and burgers for lunch daily). My mother just couldn't or wouldn't see the future effeccts of what she was doing to me....Needless to say, now I'm over 200 lbs because of my addiction to sugar and fatty foods I developed as a child. Oh yeah, I saw my long lost friend the other day and of course we all know she was awesome and totally in shape. I think kids need to be taught at a young age to choose healthy foods, your never too young to be healthy!!!

I always loved rice cakes when I was younger. :heart:
  • LilianaGarciia
    LilianaGarciia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i can deffinately see where the lady is coming from! Children need to be healthy and built up nicely and healthily! no need for low fat when they are so young :)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think it's a weird reply for sure because kids should be taught healthy eating habits so they become lifelong habits. However, I don't think that lowfat/sugar-free, etc, are healthy choices because generally other stuff is put in to replace the sugar,etc. I think moderation is really what needs to be taught and learned. In my opinion, the real stuff is better than the altered stuff - in moderation and correct portion size.

should have read your answer before I posted. ITA.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Too young to be healthy? No.

Too young to be so concerned with body image that they want all the processed artificially reduced fat/reduced sugar stuff? YES!

My kids are very thin and pretty darn healthy. I don't buy them reduced fat or reduced sugar stuff unless 1) I'm buying it for me too and we're sharing or 2) it's NATURALLY that way. There is no reason that *my kids* can't have full fat cheese or regular potato chips or regular granola cereal. I do buy them lots of "naturally" reduced stuff - like no-sugar-added applesauce and no-sugar-added jam/jelly.

My kids are always eating my veggie stix and chips, probably because I call them "mommy" chips, lol.