HELP! Talk me off the Peanut M&M Ledge!

Options
Just finished a filling lunch - a mix of carbs, protien & veggies and am now terribly craving chocolate....particularly peanut M&Ms (which is weird because they aren't my typical "go-to" candy, nor have I seen any to trigger the thought). I've already had over 1/2 of my daily dose of water (& still drinking) & am chewing a piece of gum right now - hoping it will pass. Meeting friends for Happy Hour tonight so I know I'll more than likely go over my calories for the day (but am planning to keep it to a minimum).

The OLD me would just give into the temptation and write off the rest of the day (as a failure). The NEW me is trying VERY hard to resist the M&Ms so I'm more comfortable with my decision to have a glass of wine tonight.

Seeking a rational mind to tell me that this [craving] too shall pass....

Replies

• mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Don't do it!!! Stay away from that stuff! You've worked too hard to give in. Get some low cal sugar free gum or something to chew on. Maybe even a straw. :) That helps me.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just think how sick you're going to feel after you get busy with 1/2 pound of them. It happened to me last night! I know!
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    *MY* advice would be to have just a small handful and give or throw the rest away.

Problem is, I'd end up eating the whole bag...so another stick of minty gum it is! Good luck!!!
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    STOP THINKING ABOUT THEM. Think about what your goals are and what you want to look like.
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! :-)

Tell yourself, you can have those peanut M&Ms anytime you want, you just choose NOT to have them today. Tell yourself if you still really crave them tomorrow, you will save calories for them.

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What about eating three of them, slowly?
  • CaffeineGenie
    CaffeineGenie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you can go get a snack, get something with lots of protein instead - a protein shake or a piece of cheese.

Or, perhaps just some plain nuts. They are calorie dense but you only need a few to beat cravings.
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    NO, NO, NO! Stay away!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It will, this happens to me quite often. What helps me is I ask myself "is the sugar and calories really worth it?" I used to give in and feel bad about it afterwards. Now I have gotten the mind set that if I do give in I will just end up feeling some guilt about it. But yes, the craving always passes.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you can control yourself well, you're probably better off buying a pack and eating 4 or 5 peanuts and your craving is gone.

If on the other hand you're like 90% of the world, don't do it or you'll endup eating the whole pack and regretting it after.
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this, although for me it's pretzel m&ms.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    DONT GIVE IN!! You know if you do you will eat them in like 5 minutes, they will have not satisfied your craving really you will just have over 100 calories to show for it! You can do this!!
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    I keep a stock of sugar free hard candies with me for times like these!! Sugar free Werthers and Campino!!
  • biederwoman
    biederwoman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your motivation and current weight loss! Being aware is half the battle. When I get cravings for things like chocolate it's easy to just give in and write the rest of the day off like you said, but think of how great you'll feel later when you know you didn't give in!
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    M&M's are small.... but very big in the calorie and sugar aspect... its not worth it... your stronger than that... or else you wouldnt be asking for help... youd be eating M&M's.

Look at what you are aiming for and what it will take to get there.. or how many miles it will take to walk off those M&M's.

Grab some Nature Valley Granola Thins next time u shop. they are nutty and chocolately and only 80 cals.

Hope this helps!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I bet the peanut M&Ms won't taste as good as you're imagining they taste right now. You'll be disappointed that you ate them and beat yourself up about it. Why go through that? If you want something *sweet*, get some flavored water. I love sobe lifewater and they make a number of yummy flavors. They use a natural sweetener, yet are zero calories (some of them are zero calories). For pure sweetness, I recommend Mango Melon. I just finished off a Strawberry Kiwi Lemonade lifewater.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy alternative. I suggest Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds. They have them in 100 Calorie packs and they are soo good!! Plus they give you healthy fats. M&Ms can't do that.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Each tiny little M&M has 12 calories, 2 carbs and 1 gram of fat.

Is it worth it?
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options

Thank you so much for this post! SO helpful!