Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating healthy and hair issues

I've been eating healthy for awhile now and recently my hairs just been falling out like crazy =( I thought eating healthy made hair stronger and whatnot? Whats going on?

Replies

• beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Cpould you be losing too quickly? Are you taking vitamins? I would recommend seeing your doctor if it continues. There is also a product called Nioxin that can help :o)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    This sort of thing can happen if you're malnourished... what's your average net calories?
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    What's your definition of "healthy"? Eating clean and healthy will NOT causing your hair fall out

Did you eat enough? If not, you will have the problem
  • Tayla_Grant
    Tayla_Grant Posts: 119 Member
    Have your thyroid checked. That's a tell tale sign that hormone levels are not right. I have a thyroid condition and have experienced this along with brittle nails, sleepiness, and lack of motivation to do anything. Many would call this laziness, but I knew something was off, so I had it checked and my body does not produce enouth TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) so i take synthroid everyday.
    Either way good luck, and hope its only temporary.
    :)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    anemia (iron deficiency) can definitely cause hair loss (happened for both myself and my daughter)

since i have been taking iron supplements everything is good again *S*
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    yeah, definately need to eat more... I had this problem and then upped my calories as per drs. advice, hair grew back quickly.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes

Inadequate protein and iron could be the culprit.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Take a daily vitamin E capsule ?
  • Protein and a daily vitamin. I'm going through the same exact thing right now. I spoke to my doctor's office the other day and that was their recommendation.
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that you need a little bit of healthy fat in your diet everyday or your hair will fall out.
  • I am having the same issues - one day I just noticed I was losing much more in the shower than usual...and it's been continuing like that for about 4 weeks now. I asked my brother, who is an RN...this is what he e-mailed me (today actually!..pardon his jokes:) -->

"Hair only requires two things to be beautiful and shiny (like mine...j/k im going gray); protein and a constant supply of oxygenated blood to the scalp.

1-protein- you should shoot for 80-100g of protein per day. this is a lot, and you will probably only consume 60-80g...but aim high...especially because of your workout routine.

2-oxygenated blood- step one: breathe. step two: make sure you are getting plenty of iron (and not from a supplement) in your diet. iron is what binds O2 to our red blood cells, which in turn transport it throughout the body. best iron sources: red meat, egg yolks, blackstrap molasses (this stuff is loaded with Fe, Ca, and K...i add a teaspoon to hot water and drink a cup every night). regarding egg yolks: don't listen to what news media and our government says. one or two a day is good for you. the yolk contains all of the egg's vitamin a, e, d and potassium and iron. they say the saturated fat palmitic acid (which is in the yolk) will raise your LDL (bad) cholesterol. if you are eating a low-carb diet, it won't. yolks also contain a ton of the unsaturated fat oleic acid...which is the good fat in avocados and olive oil.

if you're doing both of these things well and still do not notice improvement, try cutting grains out of your diet. go gluten-free...no bread, pasta, cereal, quinoa, beer, etc. all grains contain active "anti-nutrients" called phytates that tightly bind to metal ions in our bodies (zinc, mag, copper, calcium, AND iron). when this happens, we cannot absorb and use these nutrients."

I also told him I eat a lot of salads for dinner and he said:

"you should eat protein with your dinner salad. our cells are primarily repaired while we sleep (this means hair cells too)... and our cells are built and rebuilt with amino acids (protein), fatty acids (fat), and cholesterol. not carbs."
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    You probably need more protein in your diet............
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    This is a good question - I don't know the answer, and judging by the range of responses this thread has had, I'd say it's hard to pin down. I do agree with the posters who've suggested seeing a doctor - you can take a print-out of your food diary with you to address any potential malnourishment issues. This site is useful for a lot of different reasons! Good luck, and I hope your hair stays put!
  • had a whole thread on the benefits of proteins and butters but somehow it got erased
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    had a whole thread on the benefits of proteins and butters but somehow it got erased

Oh Damn!!!

NUTBUTTER Darling!! Delicious and Nutritious and good for your skin
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    i have had this happen twice. the first time i wasnt taking in enough cals. i was only allowing myself 500 cal max per day. not healthy and i know that now, but had no idea what it would do to my body before. u HAVE to take in enough food is the first one. then the second time was when i stopped eating meat. lack of protein will also make u lose hair. i agree with the rest of the group. vitamins, protein, and def make sure u are eating enough!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    or not enough fat.
  • crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    My hair felt out crazy amounts when I sustained myself on nothing but 2 tall nonfat caramel macchiato's from starbucks and cigs all day. Not healthy, I know! It was not because I wanted to lose weight it was because I had a killer job where I worked probably 98 hours a week and I lose my appetite when unhappy or stressed (working 98 hours a week makes you both!) The second I started eating again the hair loss stopped.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I read that if you rub a mixture of cow feces and coconut oil on your scalp, it will prevent hair loss. I haven't tried it yet, and it sounds weird (and gross!) but if it works...