Dog Walkers

2»

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I have a almost 5 year old Jack Russell who is very needy until he has his walk. He gets 30-40minutes on a morning with me and 30-40 minutes on an evening with my parents.
    Just be careful if it's too hot though because dogs can suffer from heat stroke and are more likely to get it that humans if it is very hot outside. Just try avoid walking at the hottest part of the day and if they look tired then take them home and make sure they have plenty water.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    In your original post you wondered how you could teach your dog a little bit of independence. Do you give him things to do and occupy his time that don't involve you? Does your dog like to eat? Kong "toys" are a dogs best friend. Even if your dog isn't a chewer, they work wonders and give your dog something to do that don't require human interaction. We're used to German Shepherds who never even let you go to the bathroom alone :) However, give them a nice stuffed, frozen Kong and they are happy for a good long while. You can go to the Kong website and get ideas at http://www.kongcompany.com/

We often stuff a Kong with part of the dog's daily food and he's good for an hour or so. It takes a lot of work to work thru a frozen one. And esp when you are walking out the door. IMO, it's one way to teach a dog to enjoy his time without you.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    we got one of the kong tug toys for my pointer mix and he pretty much chewed through it. I think the treat toys and balls would probably be better though!
This discussion has been closed.