breastfeeding and exercising. Do I have this right?

Options
Can you please clarify this for me?
MFP set me at 1200 calories. I log nursing exclusively, which "burns" 500 calories, putting me at 1700 for the day. I try to eat all that back. I also exercise and burn 200-400 a day (or try to).

Am I supossed to be eating back the nursing calorie deficit and the exercise ones?
Most days where I stick to a healthy diet, I net about 900 or so and MFP keeps telling me it's too little. I dont starve by any means, I eat 3 meals and at least 2 snacks.
But I'm also not losing as fast as I would like. Do I need to up my calories?

Sorry, that was a lot of questions in one post

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If that's what is working for you, roll with it. If you start losing your production up your caloric intake, when the baby is cluster feeding up the caloric intake. You need to make sure that your milk is fatty enough and nutrient rich enough to sustain life :happy:
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Where did the calorie amount for breastfeeding come from? Is that an option in the MFP database? It has been a while since I nursed, so I don't recall what they recommend for nursing women when it comes to calories. My guess would be that you should be netting 1700 calories at a minimum, even if you don't eat back your exercise calories. Aside from weight loss/gain issues, if you don't net enough calories, your milk production will suffer.

My personal feeling is that 900 calories a day is just not enough for a breastfeeding mom. And when you are nursing especially, I'd expect your body to hang on to every bit of fat then if it feels its needs are not being met nutritionally. Can you bump up your calorie intake with milk?
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    thanks. It hasn't affected my supply as far as I know. and he's definitely eating well. he's almost 6 months and 20 pounds, maybe a little more. He will be starting solids soon so I wont be nursing quite as much.

I just want to make sure I should be eating back the calories that nursing and exercising burns
  • kiku76
    Options
    Where did the calorie amount for breastfeeding come from? Is that an option in the MFP database? It has been a while since I nursed, so I don't recall what they recommend for nursing women when it comes to calories. My guess would be that you should be netting 1700 calories at a minimum, even if you don't eat back your exercise calories. Aside from weight loss/gain issues, if you don't net enough calories, your milk production will suffer.

My personal feeling is that 900 calories a day is just not enough for a breastfeeding mom. And when you are nursing especially, I'd expect your body to hang on to every bit of fat then if it feels its needs are not being met nutritionally. Can you bump up your calorie intake with milk?
    If I add breastfeeding to my food diary, if shows up as a 500 cal deficit.
    I could drink more almond milk I guess. my son is sensative to dairy and soy so I'm limited on options there.

do you think I'm just not getting enough calories? My milk supply is fine, but the weight is just creeping slowly off
  • sophiabethsmom
    Options
    I've had this same question. I'm not sure.
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat back the nursing calories and not the exercising ones...so I guess that would be 1700 calories a day (I am exclusively breastfeeding too at 500 calories a day), but I very rarely eat that many to be honest, I don't find the time! lol
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My guess is that if MFP adds 500 calories, you should at least be eating some of them. What I'd look into (and I'm not sure where you'd research this) is whether nursing a six-month-old burns fewer calories than nursing a newborn (if that makes sense). You obviously don't want to be eating the extra calories if you don't need them (and aren't hungry for them). Could be that at your baby's age, you could/should cut that number back to 250 instead? But see if you can find some info online to get a more accurate and informed answer!
  • kiku76
    Options
    I am trying to eat back the nursing calories and not the exercising ones...so I guess that would be 1700 calories a day (I am exclusively breastfeeding too at 500 calories a day), but I very rarely eat that many to be honest, I don't find the time! lol

it's hard isnt it? If I eat crap I can do it LOL. but when I eat well, it dont get enough calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I would eat the exercise calories too.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If I add breastfeeding to my food diary, if shows up as a 500 cal deficit.
    I could drink more almond milk I guess. my son is sensative to dairy and soy so I'm limited on options there.

do you think I'm just not getting enough calories? My milk supply is fine, but the weight is just creeping slowly off

I had heard when I was nursing that it was 500/day. I actually lost a lot of weight eating whatever and nursing because it burned so many calories (if I had access to my fb at work I'd post a pic from last summer, I was skinny-ish and flabby-ish from the nursing). As he slowed down I started packing on the pounds. He had dairy, soy, and gluten reactions so my diet was very strict. I nursed for 16 months, until he outgrew his intolerance to dairy. As long as your supply is fine and he's growing fine you're doing fine.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. My son is almost 7 months old and eats solids 3 times a day but I also nurse during the day. So MFP gives me 300 calories for that, and I am confused as to how many calories I should be eating total in a day.
  • kiku76
    Options
    My guess is that if MFP adds 500 calories, you should at least be eating some of them. What I'd look into (and I'm not sure where you'd research this) is whether nursing a six-month-old burns fewer calories than nursing a newborn (if that makes sense). You obviously don't want to be eating the extra calories if you don't need them (and aren't hungry for them). Could be that at your baby's age, you could/should cut that number back to 250 instead? But see if you can find some info online to get a more accurate and informed answer!

this is a very good point.
    he's not nursing nearly as much as he did when he was a newborn. I just used "bf exclusively" cause he still is bf exclusively at this point.
  • mmeinel
    mmeinel Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I am also exclusively breastfeeding my now 4-month-old. I read something with my first child that said exclusively breastfeeding moms should take in an extra 200-300 calories. I couldn't find it in MFP nor did I look up confirmation of the calorie expenditure so I haven't tried to add it, yet. I have however increased my daily calorie goal by 200 to counteract my nursing. It must be ok because I've lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks already just by adjusting my diet. I will also add that the breakdown shows I am taking in too much fat (within 10%) but I'm pretty lax about it while I'm still nursing since my goal is to be healthy, not make a number on the scale. Besides, stress will decrease supply, too. I applaud you for thinking about the kiddo and trying to set a good, healthy example. Please post if you find out any more info.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I was exclusively breastfeeding, and then pumping, I did not worry about losing weight as much as I did about my milk supply. Lots of people told me that I'd lose weight more quickly while BF, but that was not true for me. Maybe in the beginning, but not later on. Around six months I found that I really had to work to keep my supply up, which meant more calories and lots of water. Since I prioritized BF my baby until at least 12 months, I focused on that more than on weight loss. Then when she started eating mostly solid for, I cut back on calories. At 19 months, we're still BF a couple of times a day, and my supply is fine with a net of 1200 calories. I would let your body be the guide, though...if your supply suffers, increase your calories. 900 net calories does sound low for an exclusively breastfeeding mother, though.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think yes you should eat the nursing and exercise calories back ...

breasfeeding exclusively a baby takes between 500 and 800 calories ! So when you calculate 500 for it it's the minimum ...
    That all said, i don't think you have to force yourself to eat if you arent hungry after you eaten 1700 calories... Be sure to drink a looot of water and listen to your body...

You have to know that yes, breasfeeding burns calories and helps to loose weight, but it's also common that your body wants to keep few extra pounds.. that's a mechanism to protect your baby ...

Don't rush yourself to want to loose weight too fast and ruin the gift of breastfeeding your kid ...

Trust your body that give you that fabulous little baby...

I breastfed my 2 kids up to 2 years old, dont miss the beauty of that part of your life ...
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. My son is almost 7 months old and eats solids 3 times a day but I also nurse during the day. So MFP gives me 300 calories for that, and I am confused as to how many calories I should be eating total in a day.

minimally 1500 i'd say !
  • miffyrach
    miffyrach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Breastmilk has the same as formula, which is 21 calorie per 30ml or 1 ounce of milk. If you have ever given your baby a bottle, you can work out roughly how many mls they would normally have per feed, then how many feeds a day. This will give you a rough idea. Another guide is that a but will have on average about 100 calories / kg of body weight / day so for an exclusively breastfed but, that all comes from you! Once you start adding solids, they shouldn't be taking less breast milk, rather the solids just add on the extra calories they need. For my 6 month old, I add an extra 500 calories per day. I lost weight too quickly with my first but and supply dropped right off so be careful
  • mmeinel
    mmeinel Posts: 2
    Options
    miffyrach, that is really helpful info. I just found something similar (20 calories per 1 ounce of expressed milk). Great topic!

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/forum19/1427.html
  • egraham1
    Options
    Breastmilk has the same as formula, which is 21 calorie per 30ml or 1 ounce of milk. If you have ever given your baby a bottle, you can work out roughly how many mls they would normally have per feed, then how many feeds a day. This will give you a rough idea. Another guide is that a but will have on average about 100 calories / kg of body weight / day so for an exclusively breastfed but, that all comes from you! Once you start adding solids, they shouldn't be taking less breast milk, rather the solids just add on the extra calories they need. For my 6 month old, I add an extra 500 calories per day. I lost weight too quickly with my first but and supply dropped right off so be careful

Thanks for making this point. I was confused too cause my son is 7 months old and eating solids 3 times a day, but it seems like he's still nursing as much if not more than before we started solids. On the 2 days I work he takes at least 10 ounces in 2 feedings and then I still feed him at least 3 more times, so I'm thinking he at least drinks around 25 ounces which would equal 500 calories.That's what I try to eat back and the weight has been coming off SLOWLY which is better than gaining I guess. This might be a silly question as this is my second kid and I nursed my first for over a year so I should probably know this...How can you tell if your supply is lower? I'm always worried about it but I'm pretty sure we're doing fine. I just want to know what signs to look out for.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    I think anyone who wonders about how much they should eat while nursing should talk to a lactation consultant. My OB's office has people you can talk to on the phone for free, so maybe yours does too (in case you are worried about a copay or other fee). When my son was born the hospital sent me home with an info packet including numbers for free lactation info and support. Dig up your hospital paperwork to see if you have similar resources. My gut response to this though is that you should eat back your breastfeeding calories and your exercise calories. But double check with a pro to make sure the numbers MFP is giving you are correct.