Calories and progress

Options
So I have lost about 40lbs in the past 3-4 months. I am averaging about 3 lbs per week. I have been eating 1200 calories per day. I am 5'9" now 204 (was 245) and I feel great. I have been running 4-5 day as week as well. My question is: I am reading articles about how I am not eating enough calories and that I am going to go into starvation mode- is this true? I sincerely feel great and I am eating lots of veggies and good sources of protein. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• rmrainbow
    Options
    This scary phrase "starvation mode" really won't occur unless you are continually providing your body with too few calories and nutrients.

One great thing you can do for yourself is calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate -- this is the minimum amount of calories you would need to lie in bed all day. Take this number and eat BEYOND the number, because of moving around, brushing your teeth, preparing meals, etc. It will be hard to calculate how many calories you need each day (without exercise), but you can try to create an average deficit.

I genuinely doubt that any person's BMR is 1200 or lower. Mine is roughly 1300, so I net around 1400 calories a day (even after exercise). This is lower obviously because I'm a woman.

Good luck!