Another HRM question- Strapless or not?

Options
Which works better strapless or one with a chest strap? There are so many stinking options. I will probably get a $30-40 one as I can't really afford a Polar brand. I'm so lost.

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The ones with chest straps are generally considered to be more accurate. I also recommend one that can allow you put in your weight-- this is very important in determining calorie burn.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Chest strap! :smile:
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely WITH a chest strap!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    There was already a topic on this today, but you need a chest strap. If you don't have one you will not a get an accurate calorie burn.

Also, 30-40 dollars is not going to get you a quality HRM.. If you have to save up a little bit to buy a Polar, then do it... I know the Polar FT4 is on Amazon for like 50 something... not sure what the going rate is right now.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Chest Strap, the problem with a HRM is you get what you pay for, the cheaper ones just arent going to be as accurate
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Do you need to buy a separate strap for the Polar ones?

No, the Polar models come with the strap included. FT4 or FT7 are popular Polar models. $50 something on Amazon for the FT4, $70 something on Amazon for the FT7.

I agree with other posters... don't buy one without a chest strap you will regret it and it will be far more inaccurate. Save the money for a Polar or similar model.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312487649&sr=1-1

Yes, quite similar to that. FT4F and FT7F are the newest models in this series. Looks like the prices on amazon have jumped a little since I last saw....by $20 or so for each model. They do this sometimes, keep checking back and you might find and FT4 for around $50.
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just found one on eBay for $68 and free shipping, I had money in my PayPal so I went with eBay. Thanks guys,
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Chest strap for sure!
    I know it's a bit more, I had to save a little bit longer for my Polar FT4, but it was SO WORTH IT!

Just be careful, the only ones I found between 50 and 70 on amazon or ebay didn't come with the chest strap. You could pay 50 for the watch, and then have to pay another 40 else where for the strap.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes, you absolutely need to get one with a chest strap. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother getting one without, you'd be wasting your money since it won't be very accurate.

I have a New Balance N4 women's HRM w/chest strap and I would say that it is pretty good. It's probably not as great as the Polar ones but I really feel that its a very good value and it works really well. I've had it for about 6 months and have zero complaints. I got mine at target and I think it was around 50.