Just about ready to quit....need a boost.

Options
2»

Replies

• jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories! 1200 calories is day is the MINIMUM you eat - if you are burning 500 calories you are only consuming 700 calories. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything you eat. You will not lose weight. Seriously, eat more. Doesn't that sound great?? It's true. Don't give up - what then? You'll be happy being unhealthy? Keep going, just eat more and take care of yourself.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I started July 5 with this diet and exercise routine. I am sticking below my alloted calories every day (1200) (with 2 exceptions) and have lost 12 pounds. I exercise every morning (usually 30 day Shred or other weight/ab work) and do a treadmill aerobic workout every evening. So far so good, right? Wrong. The 12 pound weight loss was as of 2 weeks ago. Everything was going great until then Since then I have gained a pound, lost a pound, gained 3 pounds, lost 1 pound, gained 2 pounds, lost 2 pounds, etc. Today I am 1 pound UP from my 12 pound weight loss 2 weeks ago. What am I doing wrong? I'm eating healthy (diabetes diet + lactose intolerant diet + coumadin restriction diet so it doesn't leave a lot of gray area) and I'm working out twice a day. The laws of science should come in to play: if you expend more calories than you ingest you lose weight. I'm really getting frustrated these last 2 weeks. It makes no sense to me how I could possibly GAIN weight. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'm going to assume that you are a diabetic, lactose intolerant and on coumadin since you mentioned each of those as dietary restrictions.

First, the 12lb you lost, very quickly, was most likely water weight. This quick loss is normal. It's also normal for you to gain some of the weight back as it turns into muscle. If you are exercising that much, I'm going to guess that you are burning somewhere around 500-700 calories and building a good bit of muscle, since you're doing the 30DS. Muscle, while leaner, weighs more than fat. Measure yourself. Check if your clothes fit differently. And lastly, cut down on the exercise a little bit, and see what happens.

Next, even with your dietary restrictions, you should be able to eat a fairly decent and tasty diet. I would look into the low carb version of the diabetic diet, and based upon your calorie allotment for your diabetes, and your doctor's permission(!), see about swapping over to that. Also, some diabetic medication can stall weight loss.

Missing lactose isn't a big issue. There are plenty of alternatives out there these days with almond, coconut and soy milks and products made with them.

Coumadin gets a little tricky, but not too much. So you can't have grapefruit, have to limit your green leafy veggies and other vitamin K rich foods. However, you shouldn't have to STOP them. If you do, you're creating a false PT because eventually, you're going to have some Vit K and it will increase the blood value. Again, speak with your doctor about moderation as far as these veggies are concerned. You should be consuming some of them, though, because they will help with the diabetes issue above :)

Hope that helps some.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I started July 5 with this diet and exercise routine. I am sticking below my alloted calories every day (1200) (with 2 exceptions) and have lost 12 pounds. I exercise every morning (usually 30 day Shred or other weight/ab work) and do a treadmill aerobic workout every evening. So far so good, right? Wrong.

Are you sticking below your 1200 calories gross or net? Seems to me that you may be having the same issue that everyone else who posts something similar is having . . . not eating enough calories. If you are consuming (gross) less than 1200 calories per day and exercising you need to up your food consumption if you want to see those pounds fall off.
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want a quick fix and that is not going to get you very far, it is a life style change and you didn't pack on those pounds overnight.. So losing it means the same, it wont happen overnight.. I have learned that working your *kitten* off for a month and going back to the same routine IS NOT going to make you happy.. So its ok that you dont see results in a short amount of time.. never give up and always think of cool new and different ways to workout so you wont get bored, and new recipes too! It can happen, gotta see the glass half full!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The laws of science should come in to play: if you expend more calories than you ingest you lose weight. I'm really getting frustrated these last 2 weeks. It makes no sense to me how I could possibly GAIN weight. Any suggestions? Thanks!

These are the laws of math, not the laws of science. The laws of science that apply to exercise and diet and weight loss are more complicated than simple interest. There are a ton of good posts on here about how important it is to eat enough calories to fuel your body to lose weight.
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the quick response! I really appreciate all the encouragement. I am having trouble getting to 1200 calories without my sugars getting too high. I am a diet controlled diabetic (type 2) so I have to watch the sugars closely. The Coumadin Vit K restriction is new to me. Just started that on July 5 too, so I'm struggling trying to incorporate all three into a healthy, filling, low calorie, low sugar, high fiber diet.

By quitting I meant quit tracking it and quit actively trying to lose weight to get rid of the frustration and disappointment that goes along with my perceived "failure". I can never quit eating healthy. (Well, I can, but not for long!) And the exercise is more for my self esteem in fighting the effects of aging. I am married to a younger man so I have to try to keep up with him. :smile:

I really appreciate all the posts. I will read them over and over and try to get myself out of this funk.
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    My guess would be that you aren't eating enough. Eating below 1200 calories and working out .. your body is in starvation mode!

I agree with this. I know sometimes it is hard to wrap your head around eating more calories, but your body needs the fuel especially when you are working out. I eat back most, but not all of my exercise calories, just make sure the food choices are good ones. Do you keep an eye on your sodium intake? Last but definitely no least, drink water, water, water & then when your done, drink more water :laugh: :laugh: