Fish oil pills make me feel funny...

Options
Cella30
Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
I've tried taking them with food and without. I've tried several different brands. But these little bugers give me heartburn/indigestion and make me quesy for a couple hours after I take them. :embarassed: :sick:

Does anyone else have that problem? Do you have any recommendations on a new kind to try?

Thank you!

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    BUMP....don't know much about fish oil......but would like to find out types and benefits :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't take fish oil but I take all my vitamins and supplements before I go to bed so they don't affect the way I feel. Seems to work well.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can't take fish oil. I tried one and burped fish all morning. Now, I like fish, mind you, but not 2, 3, 20 times after I eat it!

Check out Megared - see if it does similar things for your body:

http://www.schiffvitamins.com/product_detail.asp?id=196
  • gtjarruda
    Options
    My girlfriend has the same issue, but not sure why (at least you aren't alone? yay?).

I take the liquid stuff, because it doesn't gross me out, and I don't feel sick after. The pills themselves seem much less full of the actual ingredient. I take 2 tsp of the oil, which seems to be about 3 or 4 actual pills. That's a lot of extra mg in the pills of I don't know what.

Hope you're able to find something that works.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Stomach always seems a little mad at me if I take one without food.

I think liquid fish oil tends to upset less. Just keep taking it WITH food...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have no problems taking fish oil pills as long as I have them with something to eat and big glass of water. If empty stomach then yes I will sometimes feel nauseous.
  • mp530
    mp530 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    2 things you may try:
    as the above poster said, taking them at bedtime may help as you would sleep through any queasiness (I take nearly everything at bedtime)
    there is an enteric coated version, which may agree more with your stomack
    good luck!
  • mp530
    mp530 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    *stomach*:smile:
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try the MegaRed. No fishy burps at all. Also I have problems taking any type of pills that are oil such as vitamin E. due to the fact that I have had my gallbladder removed and oil makes me very sick, so what I have found works for me is to take these in the middle of my meal. It just works for me. Maybe because they are sandwiched in.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I haven't had success with ANY kind of fish oil. So I switched to flax seed oil. It's not as good, but it doesnt' make me vomit, so I figure it's better than nothing.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Arbonne brand sells a vegan Omega-3 supplement that is made from raspberry oil, flax oil, and a few other nutritious ingredients...it has all the benefits of fish oil but without fish, because not all of us can stomach it!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues so I tried MegaRed. That was 2 years ago and I'm still using it and have never had any problems with it.
  • Rabbittrax
    Options
    Yep, the Mega Red works good. I have the same problem (no gallbladder) and everything bothers my digestion. Have not had any problems with Mega Red. I don't take it unless I've had something to eat first. Never tried it on an empty stomach because it seemed logical that it would be a problem that way.
  • kellzyeah
    Options
    Keep them in the freezer - a pharmacist I worked for gave me this advice a year or two ago. Works like a charm!