Yoga - how long to feel some benefits?

Options
I am so stiff - I never used to stretch after workouts and I feel like a creaky dried old tree trunk. I started doing yoga 2x a week last week, and I was wondering how long it would take till I could start feeling some flexibility gains? Is 2x a week enough to make some progress flexibility wise?

Replies

• kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i think after a couple of weeks youll start feeling better, but please stretch before and after you work out! its very important! if youve never put any effort into stretching itll take some time for you to become more flexible
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    Some people feel the benefits
    immediately, others in a few days
    or weeks. The most important thing
    as that you started and each day
    you will notice an increasing
    benefit to yoga in your life. A sense
    of calming, more flexibility, control,
    balance and harmony, as well as
    the physical appearance changes
    like muscle tone, decreased fat and
    such which will take on average at
    least a month. This does of course
    vary due to the amount of fat or
    current muscle mass you start with.
    Enjoy the new sense of peace and
    overall well being yoga will bring
    into your life!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    yeah for me it took a few weeks (maybe even a month?) before my hamstrings weren't killing me the day after all those downward dogs. that said, yoga hasn't just helped me with flexibility but it has also helped my body detox after intense workouts (whenever i finish a few weeks of really intense training, my trainer puts me on a strict "do lots of yoga and not a whole lot else" regimen). so i'd say don't just pay attention to how flexible you're getting but also to how you feel in terms of recovery. also, like the second poster said, stretching in general is good (and a good way to prevent injury). does your gym have foam rolls? those are also awesome. i bought one at best buy - helps keep you flexible, helps move lactic acid out of muscle tissue and helps alleviate soreness. take your time getting used to it though - i distinctly recall foam-rolling on some pretty sore leg muscles and wanting to cry ... :)
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    yes, foam rolling feels like somebody is taking a knife and jabbing it in me.

I will try to be patient with the yoga - I just wish I were more flexible NOW. Tired of feeling like an old lady.