Do you update your ticker when you gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    No... between monthly cycles and sodium, my weight gains have never proven to be "true" gains.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Nope, normally it would be a 1lb or 2lb and its gone in a week.
    Having said that I have been totally stuck before, going up and down the same few lb. I added it on my ticker and lost it for good :) Maybe it helped.

Normally its TOM or sodium and gone pretty fast
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For a more serious answer...

When I was in weight-loss mode, I would update my ticker for every new low, and occasionally for a gain. My main aversion to documenting the gain was that I didn't want to receive kudos for re-losing the same 1 or 2 lbs a second time over. On average, I think i would record it about once a week, gain or lose.

Now that I'm in a weight-gain mode, I'm actually having a harder time trying to decide when to count it. Maybe around once a month I'll just record it for posterity.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    For a more serious answer...

When I was in weight-loss mode, I would update my ticker for every new low, and occasionally for a gain. My main aversion to documenting the gain was that I didn't want to receive kudos for re-losing the same 1 or 2 lbs a second time over. On average, I think i would record it about once a week, gain or lose.

Now that I'm in a weight-gain mode, I'm actually having a harder time trying to decide when to count it. Maybe around once a month I'll just record it for posterity.

That is exactly why I don't note a gain. People telling me how well I did losing the same 1lb over and over, would actually make me feel guilty lol
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i used to with every up and down but then when i would go up a pound then back down, i felt the 1 pound lost announcement was dishonest.
    now i only do it if i am am tying a new method wether it be a tweak on diet, or change in fitness routine
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    yes. If I didnt, I would not be honest with myself.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I only recorded a gain once - recently I made it to my lowest weight yet - and subsequently put 5lbs on that lasted for two weeks. I felt that I was cheating somehow - while I understand the not wanting new kudos for the re-weight loss, I received a message from another mfp friend who said in a way, it was oddly inspirational - knowing that we all miss a step sometimes, and the re-losing of the weight reminded her that it was all sometimes part of the process.

Otherwise, I do not track small weight gains that come and go every day ( up to 4lbs sometimes!)
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Well I weighed myself a week or so ago and it said I lost 5.5 lbs which I thought was nuts, then a couple days later it said I had only lost a pound. I erased the big loss and put in the more accurate. Something like that usually means I was dehydrated or the scale messed up. I didn't want to change it, but I did because I wanted to be correct.

If I gained I would post it. I want to see the numbers to keep me going.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I don't. I keep my lowest weight as a marker of how far I've come. even if I stumble back once in awhile, it keeps me in the headspace that the low weight is where I *should* and *need to* be. For me, it helps me amp up my motivation to get back to where I've already been.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    No, but I should. :embarassed:
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i don't. i feel like it helps me get back on track faster if i keep the ticker where it was and have the goal of my lowest weight to come back to. it helps me not to give in to the higher weight.

This is pretty much my reason for not changing it when I gain. It is a mini-goal sitting there for me.

As I generally am losing weight this works. If I every give up I probably should update it then,
    except I will have given up and probably won't be logging into MFP.

A more interesting thing facing me is, when I reach my goal weight, and I haven't given up,
    how do I track my weight in such a way that it helps me maintain?

This is a problem I am looking forward to having.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    the way i go up and down my ticker would break
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always do as it them gives me the determination to loose what I have put on like the 3lb from last week being on holiday.