What do you always buy at the grocery store?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Only thing I always buy at the grocery store is cat food...wouldn't recommend eating it.

hahah!! I was going to say dog treats! Heaven forbid I go home without them!
  • tiffmode
    tiffmode Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here's my weekly grocery haul:

avocado
    spinach
    kale
    tomatoes
    beets
    meat (either turkey or chicken breast)
    eggs
    apples
    bananas
    berries
    fresh ground almond butter
    almond milk (original unsweetened)
    frozen broccoli and/or asparagus
    quinoa

I make two quinoa salads: a sweet and a savory. Sweet: cut dried apricots, drizzle some ground ginger to taste, 1/4 c walnuts (I mix this with my morning oatmeal for some added protein). Savory: 1 can organic black beans, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/4 avocado=DELICIOUS.

I usually make a kale salad with red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and avocado and put my protein on top of that for a great lunch.

The berries usually go on my post-workout snack which typically consists of Ezekiel bread, 1 tbsp almond butter, and strawberries. It's like pb & j!! Yum.

Hope this helps!
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Grapes they are great fresh or frozen, I cant get enough
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    blueberries
    zuchinni
    apples
    grape tomatoes
    baby carrots
    baby leaf spinich
    bok choy
    spring greens salad mix
    sweet potatoes
    red onion
    bell pepper
    avocado
    walnuts (4 cup bag)
    Top Round/London Broil
    chicken or turkey
    lean ground beef
    Chobani greek yogurt
    Almond milk, chocolate or vanilla
    Kellogg's All Bran multi grain crackers
    Sargento reduced fat colby jack cheese sticks
    2% fat, reduced sodium cottage cheese
    eggs
    egg beaters
    salsa
    peanut butter
    canned beans (kidney/black/chickpeas)
    V8 juice, lower sodium, weekly pack of 5.5 oz cans
    Nature Made whole wheat bread
    Brown rice
    Pom wonderful pomegranate juice
    canned pumpkin
    Old Wessix steel cut oats
    cinnamon
    Mrs Dash table blend

and some sort of guilty pleasure:

Breyer's chocolate ice cream
    Miller MGD 64
    Oscar Meyer Angus hot dogs
    Edy's frozen fruit bars
    Nilla wafers
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, cauliflower, sugar free Philly swirl Popsicle's, whole wheat flax seed pitas
    chicken breast
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    I limit myself to and am usually under $83.33 per month (i.e., $1000/year) on food, household, hygiene stuff, etc., so I don't have a regular list, because what I buy depends on what's on sale and what I have coupons for. I also grow some of my own vegetables and all my herbs.

:drinker: Cheers to you for being able to keep your grocery bill to $83/month! That's fantastic! Are you an extreme couponer? Ha, ha...just kidding! :laugh: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

As a matter of fact, I am. . . kind of. Everyone on the two or three episodes I've seen on that show look really unhealthy, and I'm not talking about their weight—there's a dullness in their eyes, hair, and skin tone. But I never pay for shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, "feminine hygiene" products, plastic bags, washing-up liquid, etc. For food, most coupons are for branded products, some of which have their uses. Canned tomatoes, olive oil, pasta, tuna, frozen vegetables (including the beloved edamame I left off my list), almond milk, tofu, and whole wheat tortillas are among the items I bought with coupons last month. I paid somewhat more than the 4¢ or whatever the people on the show allegedly pay.

Extreme fitness is where it's at.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Primal/Paleo lately, but have been eating mostly unprocessed foods for the past couple of years.

Eggs
    Butter
    1% milk (for the rest of the family, I don't drink it or use it on cereal)
    Half & Half
    Greek yogurt
    Dark Chocolate
    Spinach/Kale/Chard (whatever looks best)
    Zucchini
    Green Beans
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Beets
    Tomatoes
    Carrots
    Celery
    Onions
    Garlic
    Mixed Salad Greens
    Bell Peppers
    Lemons
    Limes
    A fruit or two, depending on what is in season
    Olive Oil
    Coconut Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Chicken stock
    Canned tomatoes & tomato paste
    Cheese (Cheddar, blue, Parmesan, and maybe a little of whatever looks interesting)
    Capers
    Anchovies - I use them in salads a lot
    Boneless pork chops
    Chicken (whatever cuts are on sale)
    Ground bison
    Canned Tuna & Salmon
    Uncured bacon
    Assorted frozen fish (if I'm shopping at Trader Joe's)
    Panko bread crumbs for breading chicken and pork (not Primal, but screw it, they're tasty, and are the only glutenous item I'm still eating. It's pretty bad when breadcrumbs are your splurge item, lol!)
    Rice
    Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes - I keep the rice & potatoes to a minimum for myself, those are mainly served to the rest of my family

I recently tried Almond milk and it is just as gross as cow's milk. I can't bring myself to drink it straight. However, I was making ginger carrots a couple nights ago and the almond milk worked really well in that (since I can't drink it, I've been looking for other ways to use it up, lol). It thickened up the glaze nicely on the carrots and my family said it was the best ever. (I make a variation on Alton Brown's recipe: sliced carrots, grated ginger, chicken stock, 1 TBs. butter, splash of almond milk, salt & pepper to taste, maybe a Tbs of honey or maple syrup if your carrots aren't very sweet. Cook in sautee pan over medium heat until done. Add more chicken stock if pan gets dry before carrots are cooked through.)
  • taniux88
    taniux88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    industrial size salsa. It's low calorie. On or in beans, eggs, rice, pasta, steel-cut oats(really), barley, vegetables, and about 100 other things I'm not thinking about. If you are from the mid-west you can get "Mild" :smile:

Down here in South Texas, "hot sauce" is a staple on the table...:laugh:
  • leneedarby
    leneedarby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    apples, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, non fat yogurt, protein, 2% milk, 2% cheese, Jennie O Turkey Burgers, 7 Grain Bread, Nutella, Water, Water, Water
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I buy low fat mayo and low fat sour cream..so I can make Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic and Spinach and Herb dip for all the different veggies!!! YUMMMMY
    HUMMAS is a MUST in my home
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Okay, what kind of a recipe are you using with the steel cut oats? I can see it being good, but just wondering how you prepare it.

Steel-cut oats with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar is breakfast.

Steel-cut oats can then be substituted for rice as a side. Think Spanish rice using steel-cut instead of rice.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    quinoa, fresh produce, tilapia/salmon, fruit, yogurt, lentils, chiceke breast