Hello

Options
I'm 47 and needing to lose at least 50 pounds.

My problem are is definitely eating healthy because I really don't like to cook.

I really need to lose the weight and figure out how to "make friends" with cooking because I have a 13 year old son that is overweight. I need to help him make changes too.

Would love to have some friends to encourage and gently prod me along. I'm terrible with this recording stuff 'tho.

Lisa

Replies

• slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like to serve a lot of fresh fruit and fresh raw veggies for dinner (no cooking required!) feel free to friend me
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! I like to do simple stuff like spaghetti (Ronzoni Smart Taste brand noodles are really good for you!), Ballpark fat free hot dogs, boca burgers (with lots of veggies), grilled chicken breast, and even some Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine dinners. Friend me if you like. Good luck!
  • gcmiller1
    Options
    I was in the same boat. My family used to eat take out or at restaurants 2-4 times per week. I have 12 & 14 yr old daughters who love to eat snack foods. One minor change we made that has made a MAJOR difference is dividing the snacks up into baggies according to their serving sizes. For example, the service size for Cheetos puffs is 1 oz or 13 pieces. We make one service size baggies as soon as we unpack the groceries. They have gotten to the point now that they hardly eat snacks. One family size bag of cheetos lasts almost 2 weeks...as opposed to 2 days.

Another way I got the kids on board was to have them help me make a menu for the week on Saturday. This gives me time to plan the grocery list and find substitutions for high fat items. I promise it will get easier.

Welcome to MFP!!! Feel free to friend me. :smile:
  • actgir
    actgir Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there,
    I've been doing this for a few weeks and am now starting to be aware of all the sugars and sodium I'm consuming. I am always looking for new recipes and meal ideas that are low in sodium as I have high blood pressure and also need to loose weight. :smile:
  • genielisa
    genielisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ya'lls suggestions - so fast! And thanks for the welcome.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Welcome. I would say if you don't like to cook, think about something that you really like when other people make it (that's healthy or can be made healthy) and learn to make that. That way, when you're done, you'll be rewarded by making something you already know you like.

You could set a goal to learn a new recipe once a week. Start out slow. Don't overwhelm yourself. The important thing is to keep moving in the right direction. The great thing about cooking other than health and taste is that it saves money.