excessive calorie burn?

Options
in an effort to more accurately report my calories burned, i bought a heart rate monitor--the kind that come with the chest strap. it let me program in a few things like weight and age and height i believe, but i'm afraid that what it's reporting that i have burned is too high even after i subtract my bmr calories (i subtract one calorie for every minute that i exercise). for instance, i jogged 3 miles in the park today and walked probably another one and a half in 90 degree weather. at the end of an hour and 15 minutes my HRM reported that i burned around 850 calories. is this too much? it seems like it is to me, and i don't want to cheat!! lol

Replies

• ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    that sounds about right. When I run a 10k it takes me an hour and I burn about 700 calories.
  • Italiandoglover
    Options
    depending on your level of fitness, and what your avg heart rate was, its more than plausible. I have done 900 calories an hour before on non stop bike rides, also i burn an avg of 850 calories an hour on 1 hour circuit cardio/kettlebell training, so I think you may be fine. Best thing is to repeat the exercise pattern again and see what you get, and than you can see if its an avg or an aberration.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Not knowing you height, weight or age...not gonna ask a lady those questions ; ) but I don't think that is high...when I run 3 mi, I burn alone 550 calories. Then you added another mile and a half...seems about right to me.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    depends on the time spent running and walking but it would sound close. I did a 33minute 3mile run for about 495 calories. if you figure 45 minutes of walking thats another 300. so yea around 800
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 305 with a chestband HRM, I am 6'7, 285 lbs. When I run for 5 km (3miles) I can burn that many calories, so I do not think that many calories are unusal for someone my size. I wonder about the numbers of calories MFP allocate to spinning or swimming. That seems to be alot.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When it's hot you burn more calories because your heart rate is higher.. so that is def. plausible.

What kind of HRM is it?