Indian Buffet Food?

Options
I am going to an Indian buffet tomorrow for a work lunch, any suggestion on what to eat that wont blow the whole day?

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    tikka masala (chicken in a tomato sauce) isnt usually too bad depending on how they prepare it. Hard to know if its sauteed in oil or how they cook it
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I save Indian food for my free days because I never know what is in it :)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    the tandori chicken is not usually too bad for calories or sodium.

my motto though is to have what you enjoy, just make sure you eat it in moderation. i have eaten at an indian buffet a few times since i started on MFP, and it never seemed to effect how good or bad my week was.
  • budkow
    budkow Posts: 39
    Options
    Tikka Masala is made with cream and clarified butter. :-) It's soooooo good....

Semi-safe foods are tandori chicken (like spiced grilled chicken), possibly any kind of Dal (lentils) and maybe Saag (thick green sauce made with paneer--firm cheese or meats). Honestly Indian Buffet is a dangerous place. :-) If there's a salad bar make a nice salad.

Obviously the naan and rice are to be in moderation if you can, and if they have any of that yummy rice pudding or deep fried honey coated donut balls...probably best to pass. :-)
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

my motto though is to have what you enjoy, just make sure you eat it in moderation. i have eaten at an indian buffet a few times since i started on MFP, and it never seemed to effect how good or bad my week was.

Totally agree with you.

Tikka Masala is awesome, as is paneer. See if the kitchen maybe has some brown rice if there's only white on the buffet.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I go to an Indian Buffet every Saturday. Most stuff is in the database, just make sure to find something that looks close and log it. You can look at my log... I usually only eat the one meal on those days, but I am not hungry for the rest of the day. :)

Chicken Tikka Masala is mostly tomato sauce at most places, but some places do use a lot of cream and/or butter, so you might want to ask the staff. Also, Different areas of India cook their food much more sweet than others. I don't prefer that, so the place that I go to is a Southern Indian place. I suppose that is all just preference, though.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, if it was my choice we'd be going somewhere safer...lol but since its for work i need to go, just want to make at least somewhat good choices, maybe if i work extra hard at spin class in the am i can burn off most of it. :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love indian food, so I just make a cheat day out of it, or make sure I do a good exercise burn on that day.
    One of the worse is butter chicken, but it is the yummiest. ;)
    If you want to keep calories as low as you can, keep naan bread or rice to minimum, and skip the samosas and other fried things.. Usually the vegetarian ones are lower in calorie, specially if it is chick pea based. Tandorini chicken is good too, but who goes to an indian buffet to eat grilled chicken? ;)
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    SO there was not a huge list of options but I feel successful after the indian buffet, 806 cal is pretty good, yay me for having will power to only have 1 plate and minimal servings of the butter chicken (which was well worth the calories and fat)

Thank you all for your suggestions

:)
  • greatdragon
    Options
    Chicken Biryani a serving is only about 300-400 calories, Also Spicy food has been proven to boost metabolisms almost a much as a 10-15min jog/walk for a few hours, its one of the reasons why Asian/Indian groups eat rich foods and don't pack on the weight as much or as fast a American/European food its not the only reason but it helps.

also don't worry about it too much just make sure you log everything and worst that happens is you end up a little off one day or just burn it off later! if I go over my goal I just spend some extra time at the gym or with the dog...
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Tikka Masala is made with cream and clarified butter. :-) It's soooooo good....

Semi-safe foods are tandori chicken (like spiced grilled chicken), possibly any kind of Dal (lentils) and maybe Saag (thick green sauce made with paneer--firm cheese or meats). Honestly Indian Buffet is a dangerous place. :-) If there's a salad bar make a nice salad.

Obviously the naan and rice are to be in moderation if you can, and if they have any of that yummy rice pudding or deep fried honey coated donut balls...probably best to pass. :-)
    Oh dear Lord!!! Ok dont eat that then. When I make it at home its nothing like that so I had no idea lol