milk..so many cals?????

Options
hi MFPs :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

i recently heared that protein intake can boost our metabolic rate

so i started taking a cup of milk in bf

and today i saw it has 267 cals...:sad: what a turn off

how can a small tiny cup contain so many cals.. these r user submitted cal info so im not

sure if thts right.. plz help..shd i keep dirinking it.. its a lot of cals in 4 sips man :huh: :huh: :huh:

Replies

• Crystal_Cherry
    Options
    hi MFPs :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

i recently heared that protein intake can boost our metabolic rate

so i started taking a cup of milk in bf

and today i saw it has 267 cals...:sad: what a turn off

how can a small tiny cup contain so many cals.. these r user submitted cal info so im not

sure if thts right.. plz help..shd i keep dirinking it.. its a lot of cals in 4 sips man :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Did you look at your milk carton to see what it lists?
  • Crystal_Cherry
    Options
    Did you look at your milk carton to see what it lists?

we take bottles.. from our milk man

so i donno
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    so, what company? have you looked on their website?

Also, what kind is it? Regular milk, 2% lowfat, or 1% low fat or skim (no fat) milk?
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    bottles, from a milk man? Really? Cool! I know 2% milk has 320 cals for 1 cup! :noway:
  • weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk and its only 110 calories for 1 cup! Once you get past the unfamiliar taste, it's not bad!
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in a nutrition class right now and we talk about this. Milk is SO important, especially if you aren't getting calcium from somewhere else. I would check to see what type you get. It sounds like you might be getting whole milk which might have something to do with it. Check with your milkman.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My friend gets milk that way too. You will just have to ask the milk man if he knows, or call the company.

I'm going to have to disagree with milk being so important. I've actually did some research on it and humans are the only animal on earth that drink milk after they are weaned (unless we feed it to them). Being able to tolerate milk is a genetic defect that we have breed into ourselves. If you look at other nationalities the people are mainly lactose intolerent. If you take a look at the Orient for example, the women there rarely drink milk, but eat a ton of veggies that provide cacium and contain less sodium. They also get more exercise than the average American. And They have a way lower rate of osteeoporosis.

Yes milk can be high calorie. If you feel you have to drink it I would get skim milk. I personally haven't had a glass of milk since elementry school, but do eat a large variety of foods with calcium and get lots of weight baring exercise. I break horses and have been in several wrecks where people thought I should have a broken bone and have never had one.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    2% milk is not 320 calories/cup. It's about 120 calories/cup. Skim milk is 80-100 calories per cup.

I say, drink up!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Some people hate the stuff, but I love it:

Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze Almond Milk.

8 ounces is...

drumroll...

40 calories!

Chocolate is 45!

I'd recommend adding some Splenda or Stevia though. It's unsweetened for a reason.

One of my friends doesn't like drinking it straight, but wants to cut down on milk calories. She mixes it with skim or 2%, and claims it drowns out the almond taste.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% (Costco Organic) and it has 120 cal/cup. I used to drink non-fat, but Denise Austin came to speak at my company and said that non-fat milk won't fill you up and make you feel full. Milk with a little fat will, so I made the switch. I don't mind the extra calories and fat, because the taste and smell are better.:smile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Skim Plus is really good, too. Fat free, but with extra protein and a creamier texture. I think it's 110 cals per cup.

Not milk, but another filling drink I've rediscovered in the last week is low sodium V8/Knudsens. I had read that it suppresses appetite and wanted to give it a try - works for me! Cold in the morning (I pretend it's a bloody mary) and hot at night (use it as a soup course), only 50 calories per cup, thick and filling. And full of vitamins A and C. I get the low sodium kind so that I don't retain water.

Drink responsibly. :drinker:
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Pardon me, typo.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My friend gets milk that way too. You will just have to ask the milk man if he knows, or call the company.

I'm going to have to disagree with milk being so important. I've actually did some research on it and humans are the only animal on earth that drink milk after they are weaned (unless we feed it to them). Being able to tolerate milk is a genetic defect that we have breed into ourselves. If you look at other nationalities the people are mainly lactose intolerent. If you take a look at the Orient for example, the women there rarely drink milk, but eat a ton of veggies that provide cacium and contain less sodium. They also get more exercise than the average American. And They have a way lower rate of osteeoporosis.

Yes milk can be high calorie. If you feel you have to drink it I would get skim milk. I personally haven't had a glass of milk since elementry school, but do eat a large variety of foods with calcium and get lots of weight baring exercise. I break horses and have been in several wrecks where people thought I should have a broken bone and have never had one.

While I agree cow's milk isn't necessary, I wouldn't use the term 'genetic defect'. There's nothing wrong with the chromosomes of a person who can tolerate milk. We all need to tolerate it as infants because we all drink milk at that point in our lives, it's just that it's human milk. Those who can tolerate milk into adulthood simply keep expressing the lac operon for lactase production, while some of us stop. It most likely depends on our genetic lineage--some of us have ancestors who were around domesticated cattle for 1.000's of years more than others. Or it could be totally random. Or it could have to do with how much milk we drink on a regular basis--if you're using a gene regularly, you most likely won't stop expressing it.

That said, you can get the micro and macronutrients that are found in milk in any other form of milk (cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese) without getting it from the milk man.

I have seen some serious debates on drinking cow's milk. Makes me wonder why people don't drink breast milk instead.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!