Sourcing cheap nuts?

Options
I am in a pretty expensive city. The nearest Kroger to my house charges 9 bucks for a bag of Blue Diamond almonds.

Any ideas on where is good to get nuts? Do your farmers markets have them? I have to admit I haven't really looked, as ours are all quite crowded and I'm usually looking to grab what I know is there and get out. There is Trader Joe's and Whole Foods here, but I would be bussing to them adding $2-5 to the price, unless I was in the neighborhood anyway which I'm usually not. Ordering online maybe?

This is Seattle, in case anyone can give local advice. Thanks!

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    Options
    What size bag is that?

I get a 6 oz. bag at Aldi for 2.49. Don't know if you have an Aldi or not? Whole foods markets have them by the pound, but since I haven't made a whole foods run in several months, I can't remember the price. They have 1# bags of various nuts, though, for 6.49 and 7.49. Whole foods is an hour drive from me, so I go only once in a while and stock up big on the items I use... so I know what you mean!

*come to think of it... I think it's 12 oz. bags for 6.49 to 7.49.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Check the bulk section.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think it is like 8oz. It is well under a pound for sure.

We have no Aldi.

I can check out Whole Paycheck, but I fear the price, lol. I will try to do some more digging at the farmer's markets. I was at Pike Place today buying other stuff and kicking myself for not asking around, but checking the site there don't seem to be many nut dealers there and it's by far the biggest farmer's market in town.

Thanks for the reply!
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    Online- called nutty guys.com-cheap
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    AHA!!!

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Almonds-Natural-Unblanched-1-lb-454-g/15141?at=0

Cheaper (by a lot) than the nutty guys. I just checked. It's 5.54 for 8 oz. from them, 9.01 for 1 pound. iHerb: 5.75 a pound!

iHerb has 4.00 flat rate shipping, and it's FREE shipping on purchases over 40.00. I also have a coupon code you can save 5 bucks by using! CUP159 at checkout to save. :)
  • BeverageTreats
    Options
    Wow! I think I will try ordering from iHerb. Let's see if I can get up to $40. Thanks!!
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I just did a google search for cheap nuts and you don't want to know what came up...
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    OH! And iHerb has this: http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roasted-All-Natural-Peanut-Flour-32-oz-907-g/36231?at=0 which is apparently very close to PB2. Except it isn't sweetened and has no salt. http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/09/powdered-peanut-butter-a-review-taste-test.html

I ordered it to give it a shot. :)
  • BeverageTreats
    Options
    Thanks frugal!

I got 2 raw cashews and 2 raw almonds. They have Aubrey Organics Conditioner so I had no trouble getting to $43. I used the code but since that put me below $40 I think it negated the free shipping. Still, $42.

I'll let you know how the cashews and almonds are!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Also: Costco frequently has inexpensive shelled whole nuts.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    You're welcome! Glad it helped. :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I usually buy almonds, walnuts or pecans at Costco in the baking section. These aren't salted and are raw but we've found we like to toast them ourselves and we like the almonds raw. They're sweet and yummy. We also make our own almond butter so they work well for that. Costco also has mixed nuts, cashews and almonds in a good sized container all for between $12-15. I go to the Costco in the Marysville area so your Costco may vary in content.

Winco is a good one for inexpensive bulk nuts and there is now a Winco in Everett or Marysville. I'm sure you could google for directions if you're ever up north.

Cash N Carry also carries large bags of nuts. I usually go to the one in Everett, I know there is one in Lynnwood and I'm pretty sure there are others around as well. Again, google it and I'm sure you'll find their locations. They had a pretty big bag of almonds for $25 or so.