eating to few calories.. HELP!

Options
Okay so I am a very picky eater I always have been but for once I don't think it's the main problem! I can't get to over 730-800 cal. with out going over my allowance of fats and carbs. A nutritionist told me not to go over 75 carbs and 45 fats! I don't want to starve myself (not that I am starving I don't even feel hungry) I just want to lose my weight and get to my goal but I don't know how to eat the proper amount with out going over something else! Please Help!

Replies

• mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    eat egg whites, cottage cheese, tuna, turkey
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    eat egg whites, cottage cheese, tuna, turkey

what she said!
    protein, though 75 is a super low number for carbs in my opinion. i would not be able to stay under that! haha
  • chitniss
    chitniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dont think it matters if you go a little over on the carbs, fats or proteins. But make sure you get a minimum calories or else you will get your body into starvation mode. The usual minimum is 1500 calories unless you are bed ridden.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary and I don't see many vegetables. Try to add some instead if the carb heavier food (clearly avoid the startchy/carb veggies!)

:)
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    How about "good" fats? Can you add calorie dense foods with good fats, such as avocados, nuts, and peanut butter?
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I viewed your food diary and if you start eating less processed and prepared foods, you could cut out alot of the sodium and carbs. Try planning ahead what you will be eating for each meal and find some healthy options. Banana with peanut butter, pita chips with hummus, chicken and beans and cheese in a big salad are some ideas. Avoid foods in the center aisles of the grocery store and you will be sure to see some results!:smile:
  • nicolekz
    nicolekz Posts: 10
    Options
    Everything this site says about too few calories and high body fat is true (lots of other posts about it. . . it's called "starvation mode").

To meet your calorie goals, eat foods that are high in protein and low in carbs/fat. Most food has some carb/fat, and they do add up quickly. It would be very difficult to eat too much protein if you are staying under your fat and carb goals, so don't worry if you go over your protein goal. Fifty percent of my diet is protein and I am very happy with my weight and body fat %. (But keep in mind that I do a lot of strength training, which helps.)

Try eating:
    Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed), or White Meat Chicken (water packed)
    Fish (tilapia, cod, halibut, and on occasion salmon and sea bass)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Buffalo steak (lean)
    Protein Powder (lactose free)
    Egg Whites or Eggs
    Rib eye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% Lean Ground Round)
    Extra Lean Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

Also, for the carbs you do eat, try eating complex carbs that have little to no sugar (particularly added sugar):
    Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
    Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    Oat Bran Cereal (watch sugar, less than 6 grams)
    Brown Rice
    Ezekiel Bread
    Farina (Cream of Wheat from box)
    Multigrain Hot Cereal
    Pasta (Whole Wheat, Ezekiel brand – watch serving, very dense)
    Rice (jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild, brown)
    Potatoes (red, baking, new)
    Kashi Low Sugar Cereals (less than 6 grams of sugar)
    Whole Wheat Pita (Low Carb Variety – Joseph’s Pita Bread, or Food for Life brand)
    Carbdown Flatbread (Wal-Mart)
    Corn Tortillas (Food for Life Brand is best, microwave to make crispy)
    Whole Wheat Tortillas (Food for Life brand)
    Rice Cakes (lightly salted only)

You can pretty much eat as much as you want of the following carbs/veggies:
    Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)/Bagged Salad
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Black Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Mushrooms
    Pickles
    Cabbage
    Sprouts
    Cucumber
    Green or Red Pepper
    Onions
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini
    Squash
    Spaghetti Squash
    Pumpkin
  • aquarius2571
    Options
    hi, i also checked your diary. i suck at preparing fresh meals, but this has worked wonders for me. also having someone to buddy with you helps you stay motivated. i have cut out all "diet foods" as this seems to increase your hunger. look for latin stores or african stores as the food there is not processed. i have added tons of vegetables to everything. also i try to eat various foods, small portions, and eat similar things every other day to not make it hard. my biggest challenge is my shifts when i work which are 12 hours. good luck!!
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have another question now vegetables have a lot carbs in them so I would go over my carb allowance but is that okay because they're good for you? I wasn't sure that's why there aren't very many vegetables on my diary.
  • nicolekz
    nicolekz Posts: 10
    Options
    A cup of steamed broccoli has about 30 calories, which is 6 carbs. To me personally, a cup or two of broccoli is pretty filling. It would be a challenge to eat 75 g worth of carbs from green leafy veggies alone (almost 13 cups of broccoli). So, part of the reason is that green leafy veggies are filling, and the other part is that veggies are high in fiber. Fiber has a negligible effect on your blood sugar, so in some ways, you really don't need to count your fiber towards your total carbs. A cup of broccoli has 2 g of fiber per cup, so it is more like a net of 4 carbs per cup.
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    I go for fruit and veggies when I need some filler. Those steamer bags that cook in the bag in the microwave save me a ton of time and make it so I have a bigger tendency to eat veggies since I have minimal prep and clean up.

Sugar free peanut butter is also good, ton of calories in just two tablespoons.