Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are you anti-eating hobbies/habits?

What I mean by that subject is that I have a tendency to mindlessly eat when I'm bored or when I'm watching tv or when I'm reading a book...I like to munch on something, preferably a sweet something. So I've started working up things to do that make it hard to eat while I'm watching tv or reading a book.

For example: I've recently started back up on an old hobby of cross-stitching while I watch TV. Since you have to have clean hands, you can't eat while you do it. And to put it all away (so the dogs don't eat my strings!) is a pain in the hiney, so I tend to not eat if I'm cross-stitching.

I've had to totally ban eating while readin because I can't come up with a good hobby/habit to avoid eating mindlessly while reading (and I read a lot). But I've found when I'm bored two things that work for me (aside from exercise, as I usually have already worked out at least once a day and walked the dogs for an hour): 1.) I clean and/or declutter a la FlyLady for 15 minutes - kills the boredom and usually by the time I'm done doing something gross and grungy (like cleaning the hairballs out of the shower drain) I really don't want food. 2.) I have one and one play time with one of my furries (I have 3 cats and 3 dogs) - they love the individual attention and it definitely gets me un-bored.

What do you do? Any one have any tips for while I'm reading?

I know other people who paint their nails or something like that to help with the mindless munchies too.

Replies

• pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    I just drink a cup of warm tea. I don't really like to eat with tea and it still satisfies that urge to fiddle with something. Earl Gray or Lady Gray are nice.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    I suck my thumb. Yeah, a 24 yr old still thumbsucking! Haha it keeps my mind occupied and makes me sleepy which in turn makes me too lazy to go get food :p
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    at first I thought it said what are you eating Hobbies, I actually laughed, cause I got lots of those.

Anti-eating is another story. :tongue:
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    I dance which I guess is pretty productive, everyone says to lose a large sum of weight do activities you liked to do as a child some times I even hula hoop with my giant hula hoop!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    I crochet. I just started so and have only made one very ugly scarf but it involves both hands so when I am sitting watching tv or a movie both of my hands are busy crocheting and not eating!
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    im quite impressed that you can eat and read...I like to drink tea as well:)

otherwise you could munch on empty/low calorie foods, like celery, veggie sticks or plain popcorn:)
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    I crochet too :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Welcome to my world, I hate when I do that! :( I try to get as far from the kitchen as possible, go for a walk, play with my pets, do Just Dance 2, or get out of my house!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    aqua_zumba_fan Posts: 383 Member
    I also love cross-stitching but hadn't thought about the fact that it stops me eating - nice one ;)
    Although I do sometimes take a break, eat something, and come back!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    My biggest savior is gum .... Oh, and water. Food doesn't taste the same when chewing mint gum, kinda like brushing your teeth. In the evening, I turn off the lights to the kitchen so I don't go back in for munchies.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    I do home repairs / maintenance or go out and work in the barn - no food there - or do motorcycle maintenance / repair (not applicable to everyone, I know).
  • I can go for hours without eating anything while crafting, I need clean hands while handling cardstock and assembling all the elements together. I also love to read and lose myself in the books anyway so nothing else matters!! (sometimes I don't even realise I need a toilet break!)