Weights and Upper Body...HELP

Options
When it comes to weights and upper body (well and lower body too :laugh: ), I'm at a loss. Which machines should I use? Should I use free weights? What are ANY of the names of these things? How many reps? What weight amount is a good starting point....

Help >.< I want to start dipping into more weight training this weekend but it seems I'm at a loss....Anyone care to share any ideas on what they do or would recommend?

Thank you in advance...

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for 2 years now and sometimes I forget which exercises to do for what. I downloaded the jefit.com app the other day. It gives you pictures of the muscle groups and a list of exercises you can do for each....very helpful when you dont know what to do. The machines will generally tell you what to do as well. I would start light 3 sets of 12-15 and work your way up when it feels too easy.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's great that you're getting into strength training. I definitely recommend free weights. To learn about proper forms and what exercises to do, I would recommend perusing bodybuilding.com or buying a copy of The New Rules of LIfting for Women by Lou Schuler.

Good luck! You won't look back. :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's great that you're getting into strength training. I definitely recommend free weights. To learn about proper forms and what exercises to do, I would recommend perusing bodybuilding.com or buying a copy of The New Rules of LIfting for Women by Lou Schuler.

Good luck! You won't look back. :)

Get the book!! Don't try to wing it, it is much better if you have a good program to follow!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym, I'd see if you can talk to a personal trainer so they can introduce you to the machines and free weights, show you proper form etc. The last thing you want is to get injured.

Also bodybuilding.com is a good site to use.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I kinda follow this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/intro Its a really good web-site and they have videos on how to do each exercise!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Check out Oxygen magazine. They have great routines with pix and step by step instructions. It's best to start out by doing 3 sets of 8, but that's to burn some serious fat and get definition. First go round, you will be sore the next day or 2, but as you do this consistently you will need to keep bumping up the weight. Don't totally rely on machines....free weights will give you the best results. I will sometimes finish my routine with one machine exercise.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Definitely use free weights. If you want guidance on proper technique, I also suggest contacting a trainer at your gym and he or she can show you how to lift safely and give you some ideas on good exercises. So glad to hear you're getting into weight training...it really does amazing things for your body and your weight loss!!