Doctor told me not to eat fresh fruits or veggies. >.<

Options
I went to see a GI doctor the other day b/c I had GI bleeding a few weeks ago. Plus I have a lot of other digestive problems...malabsorbtion, acid reflux, severe bloating, chronic diarrhea, stomach pain...etc...he gave me a list of foods not to eat...including fresh fruits and veggies, beans, wheat and wheat bran, dairy, eggs, fried or fatty foods, sugars including raffinose, lactose, fructose and sorbitol...and then no soda or alcohol of course.

It just...seems a little extreme to me? He doesn't even have a diagnosis yet. I'm having a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the 26th...and he took blood work to check for celiac disease and I collecting more stool samples to check for infection and stuff.

I don't know exactly what I *can* eat. haha I guess cooked veggies and meat? LOL thats about all? God, I love milk products. :frown:

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    I went to see a GI doctor the other day b/c I had GI bleeding a few weeks ago. Plus I have a lot of other digestive problems...malabsorbtion, acid reflux, severe bloating, chronic diarrhea, stomach pain...etc...he gave me a list of foods not to eat...including fresh fruits and veggies, beans, wheat and wheat bran, dairy, eggs, fried or fatty foods, sugars including raffinose, lactose, fructose and sorbitol...and then no soda or alcohol of course.

It just...seems a little extreme to me? He doesn't even have a diagnosis yet. I'm having a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the 26th...and he took blood work to check for celiac disease and I collecting more stool samples to check for infection and stuff.

I don't know exactly what I *can* eat. haha I guess cooked veggies and meat? LOL thats about all? God, I love milk products. :frown:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Keep the faith. :flowerforyou: Although Doctor's don't know everthing, follow what they say till they do give you the diagnosis. At least it sounds like they are following through with tests.

Good luck!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Sorry hun!

He might be trying to narrow things down to see what is causing problems for you. Take you off everything then introduce things back to see what is the culprit.

Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My MIL is going through a similar situation, having to restrict certain foods until they figure out what her trigger is. Chin up dear, the docs wil figure it out soon enough. :flowerforyou:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Natasha26 is right. They do the same thing when you have a food allergy. Take everything away and then every few days to a week they introduce a food back in. Sounds like they're on the right track. Hang in there.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Here's the bright side... my friend had to do the same thing (she ended up needing some surgery) and the dietary change resulted in eating very little (and eating pretty healthfully) and she lost around 30lbs fairly quickly, and has kept if off many years later by following the same diet, but she added back lots of fruit and veg (she had to be off dairy too!).

Good luck, and it might just be the jump start your diet was needing!
    :flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Alot of the soy products out there are pretty good. Silk soy milk is a good brand to look for.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    SongbirdSweet just went through all that same stuff! You should PM her about it--she had to stop exercising and eating "healthy" stuff for a bit, too.