To buy a scale or not to buy a scale?

Options
I don't know what to do....should I buy a scale or will I feel worse because I feel the need to check my weight all the time? Any suggestions?

Replies

• kappy_hollowell
    Options
    NO! Don't do it!!!! It will only make you miserable! I have one, and I can't make myself stay off of it. It's TOM right now, and I'm up 5 lbs, but only because it's TOM! So it makes me miserable seeing the fluctuation!

I'm addicted to the scale, please do not succomb to it's gravitational pull! It's an awful addiction!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I need mine, measurements just don't motivate me as much. I need to know if what I am doing is working. But yes I fell trap to weighing myself all the time
  • ashcroft37
    ashcroft37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is a really bad addiction, I go on mine everyday which is not good. But on the other hand I do like to keep a check on my BMI which is built into my scales. So good points and bad, good luck
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I have just (literally) come home with a new scale. Salter 9147.

My old scale was different depending how I stood etc, very innacurate, £5 basic bathroom scale.

The new one was £25 and is very accurate and repeatable. As well as weight it also displays bmi, fat %, water % and muscle %

These figures are important to me as I want to see how they change as I exercise. Once I have lost 20kgs from diet and exercise I want to start bulking out so again, muscle vs fat are interesting to me.

The body fat percentage could be a good thing to include if you do purchase a scale. If you do happen to have put some weight on, or not lost any then seeing a reduction in body fat could make you feel a bit better about that?

I'm guessing you attend a weekly weigh-in or club though? If so it's probably not worth getting your own and becoming obsessed.
  • abbygipe
    Options
    I don't attend anything actually, haha. It's just something I wanted to do for myself but I know that I am OCD about everything else so I would probably be about checking my weight...so I don't know if it's a good idea. But if I don't buy one I'm not sure how I would track any progress unless it's just by feeling better and hoping my pants aren't as tight, haha.