Birth Control

Options
2»

Replies

• slpkennedy
    Options
    the Neuva ring is amazing.. its a once a month ring you just pop it in and take it out monthly i loved it now worries on timing daily and no added weight gain.. id still be on it if my bp wasn't so high.. ask ur doctor its worth a shot
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    Mirena uses a similar hormone to Depo Provera, the difference is that its local and not in your blood stream so you don't get side effects as strongly.

That said if you've continuously bled on Depo that may happen with mirena.

You should have a discussion with your doctor about whether you'd be better off with Mirena or Paraguard (non-hormonal IUD and last twice the amount of time). Paraguard works extremely well but it will give you heavier periods for at least the first year. But its non-hormonal, and good for 10 years.

Edit: Also to note sometimes it can take a year for your body to adapt to Depo and for the bleeding to stop.
  • Aliena
    Aliena Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been on Depo for about the same length of time as you and have had similar irritating bleeding (despite the nurse at my surgery denying it being a side effect!). Eventually the doctor gave me a ten day course of Norhisterone which stopped the bleeding completely within 24 hours of staring it. Once I came off it I had a 'normal' bleed for about a week and since then nothing (fingers crossed!)

I'm in the UK so whether Norhisterone is available to you there I don't know.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I take the pill, and because I suck at remembering to take any kind of medication regularly, I set an alarm on my phone.

It's become such a regular thing, that my boyfriend and son (though he doesn't know what the alarm is for) will tell me when it's 8:30, or almost that time, every single night. I've only missed a couple in the 2 yrs I've been taking it that way.

The patch always kinda weirded me out - having something that sticks that well doesn't seem like it should be sticking to me.
  • suzyluzy
    suzyluzy Posts: 78
    Options
    I was on diane35 for my skin problems (yes it's birth control). I gained 15 pounds in 3 weeks...
  • BrindaP
    BrindaP Posts: 9
    Options
    I used Mirena as my doctor convinced me that the hormones were localized and would not go through the whole body.
    I got pregnant on the Depo :P
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Chastity belt?
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem on depo... I had a light flow period for over a month. I was also constantly hungry. It was awful. I don't love the pill (mostly because in the past I wasn't good about taking it at the same time every day... my darling daughter is proof of that lol), but I'm back on it as I really need to have a regular, normal cycle to feel healthy. Condoms are useful, too. :smile:
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i've been on the nuva ring since may 21st and i've lost 20 lbs since then! =) it's awesome and i love it!! good luck!

edit: oh, and i was on the depo shot years back and it made me crazy depressed and i gained a ridiculous amount of weight :frown: very very bad.