running shorts- are they worth it??

Options
I've taken up running and the thing I hate the MOST about it is pulling shorts out of my butt crack while running down the side of the street. Would this situation be remedied by buying running shorts? I don't want to buy more shorts if they're just going to do the same thing :(

Replies

• ksn1202
    ksn1202 Posts: 4
    Options
    They are totally worth it in my opinion! Nike Tempo are my favorite and worth every penny. I will not buy any other kind. They have a built in liner so you don't even have to wear underwear, therefore eliminating the problem!! They are like $30/pair so I just bought 2 in basic colors and alternate between those....I will get more when I don't have to buy XL. :laugh:
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Nike Tempo are awesome! They have some on the Nike store website marked down to like $15-$20 a pair.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    I love my Adidas shorts! Built-in underwear is the best thing ever in the sport of running! Sounds weird, but OMG LOVE IT!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Running skirts also have a liner and the added bonus of not outlining the butt :-)

They're available at most outdoor stores or here: http://store.runningskirts.com/skirts/running-skirts
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I have to agree with the others, I love the Nike Tempo shorts. They are by far my favorite and I have tried several kinds of running shorts.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    For me, standard "running shorts" just do the same thing that other kinds of shorts do. The only ones that I've found that don't run up are a pair of Nike shorts that are really fitted and go almost to my knees. My thighs rub together and so any loose, short shorts (running or otherwise) just ride on up and I have chafing on my inner thighs at the end of a run. That's me tho, I know a lot of folks like the little shorts with the built in underwear, but it just doesn't work for me.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm not a serious runner (yet), so I bought mine from Target. Absolutely a GREAT purchase. I sweat like crazy, and the shorts with the built-in liners work out perfectly for me!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Running shorts are totally worth it! I personally don't like the ones with built in liners, make me feel like I'm wearing diapers. However, I love my Race Ready shorts! They have built in pockets along the back so I can carry my phone, my energy gels, tissues etc. I like the ones that are tight to the leg but they make them in that style and the style with the inner liner, so everyone can be happy! Good luck!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love my Adidas shorts! Built-in underwear is the best thing ever in the sport of running! Sounds weird, but OMG LOVE IT!

I was going to say the same about my adidas. They have built in compression shorts. Love em.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm all for getting the proper attire for the type of workout you do. It will help you enjoy it more and stick with it.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    In my opinion, ALL shorts ride up at some point, and bug the crap outta me. If it's not hot, I do run in a pair of Tempos, or Adidas, but I'm still adjusting them mid-run. When it's cooler I also found a pair of C9 Bermuda shorts that are fitted and work great (from Target). But mostly, I'm a running skirt convert. I absolutely LOOOOVE Skirt Sports Gym Girl Ultras. They have compression shorts underneath that DO NOT RIDE up. They have a built in pocket on each side for your mp3 player, phone, Gu, snacks, whatever. I've found them cheaper on ebay, and doing a Google shopping search. Totally worth the $$, though.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I might have to look into running shorts myself now.

Just wanted to hop on and say that I've been running in capris, which are great because they don't bunch up like shorts, and even with as hot as this summer's been, I haven't felt overly hot from the capris while running outdoors.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you aren't doing any long distance running, then I would just go to target for your shorts. I've bought those and the Nike shorts and there is really not a lot of difference (may be a little cuter) in the design. I have trouble with chaffing in regular running shorts if I go any more than 5 miles. I used to wear the spandex type bike shorts that come down mid-thigh but I recently went to the running skort. Same thing with a cute skirt to cover my buns! :o)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you aren't doing any long distance running, then I would just go to target for your shorts. I've bought those and the Nike shorts and there is really not a lot of difference (may be a little cuter) in the design. I have trouble with chaffing in regular running shorts if I go any more than 5 miles. I used to wear the spandex type bike shorts that come down mid-thigh but I recently went to the running skort. Same thing with a cute skirt to cover my buns! :o)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts are the best running gear I have ever purchased. Nike Dri-fit compression shorts or UnderArmour. I wear compression shorts under my shorts instead of underwear. They don't ride up, they keep my outer shorts from constantly needing adjustments, everything stays intact, and no chaffing from legs rubbing together.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I prefer compression style shorts, tri shorts (that can be worn for swimming or biking) or capris. Or a running skort with built in compression shorts underneath.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    oh wow! you do learn something new everyday. never heard of running skirts! they look fab. i run in leggings- that come up to knees and they dont ride up.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love my running shorts. I've heard so many good things about running skirts as well. :)
  • memieof3
    memieof3 Posts: 33
    Options
    I jog and exercise in leggings
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't even run and I have running shorts.. mainly because as others said they have a liner in them that doesn't crawl up your *kitten*.
    I have two pairs by Under Armour and one pair by I think Champion that I got at target.. and they are all wonderful!