What on earth did Tim Burton do to Alice in Wonderland?

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Whoops...totally messed that up, lol.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...much better than the watered down Disney version. Tim Burton is one of my all time favs....I have all of his movies-even Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

I did not know Tim Burton did Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Large Marge was in my nightmare's hahahaha. Learn something new every day.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure was AWESOME! I didn't know Tim Burton had a hand in that, either.

I love everything Tim Burton does. Bonus points if it includes Johnny Depp and/or Helena Bonham Carter. :heart:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As i 25 year old bloke i can still remember watching some iconic cartoons and films including Alice in wonderland, loony Tunes, Tarzan, The A team......

I came across Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. All i can utter is 'What the hell is this'! He transformed a simple adventurist yet iconic cartoon/film into a dark over the top piece of trash!

His version is more like Alice in Wonderland: Halloween Edition!

Uhhh.....maybe because it's TIMgoddamnBURTON??

If his version is too *scary* for you, maybe you should best be sticking with the Disney version.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the cinematography and visual effects of the movie. It's not everyday you see work like Tim Burton's.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    As i 25 year old bloke i can still remember watching some iconic cartoons and films including Alice in wonderland, loony Tunes, Tarzan, The A team......

I came across Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. All i can utter is 'What the hell is this'! He transformed a simple adventurist yet iconic cartoon/film into a dark over the top piece of trash!

You sir need to stop riding the white pony.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options

You sir need to stop riding the white pony.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i've read the book, and i didn't like tim burton's version of it either. actually, i prefer the disney version. :)
  • jesshall281
    Options
    The disney version is classic

The Tim burton version is genius.

Simple.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I loved it.
    I loved everything he's done.
    Bonus points if Danny Elfman is involved, DOUBLE bonus points if Johnny Depp is in it.

The man is a visual and creative genius.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...much better than the Disney version. Tim Burton is one of my all time favs....I have all of his movies-even Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

What? WHAT????

<---- my favorite movie Beetle Juice, it's one of those ones that when channel surfing it doesn't matter how far into the movie it is, I will sit and watch it.
  • shiggyshane
    Options
    i liked it..heck my daughter loves it!
  • tasman11
    tasman11 Posts: 79
    Options

If his version is too *scary* for you, maybe you should best be sticking with the Disney version.

Absolutely! I was petrified watching over the top acting, weird humans, bright clown makeup and dark visualisation.
    I failed to understand the concept of turning a family adventure into a dark world of Tim Burton.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I liked it. Have you ever read the book. It is more like the book than the watered down disney version. I love Tim Burton though. To each his own.

I total agree with you
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    The disney version is classic

The Tim burton version is genius.

Simple.

^^^ This! Anything by Tim Burton will be a bit on the 'dark' side, but his work is brilliant!
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I love the craziness and darkness in Tim Burton's films. I didn't really care too much for Alice in Wonderland though. It was exactly what I had expected from him though. I love me some Sweeney Todd though... or maybe it's just my obsession with the soundtrack? Who knows? haha
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Absolutely! I was petrified watching over the top acting, weird humans, bright clown makeup and dark visualisation.
    I failed to understand the concept of turning a family adventure into a dark world of Tim Burton.

As everyone has said, it was exactly what you should expect from Tim Burton (and I loved it, but I grew up with the Disney version and like that, too, and I have read the book several times).

It doesn't seem like you have read the book, because there is some reall weirdness in it, and you might not consider it a "family adventure" for small children. Disney has taken all classic folk tales and turned them into, well, Disney versions without the "scary" stuff. Read Hans Christian Anderson's or the Grimm brothers' original works, and if you're a huge fan of the Disney versions, you might not like them so much.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts so if someone else said this I apologize, but this was not supposed to be the original AIW (as I thought when the wife and I went to see it at the movies. This was later. Alice had grown up and went back. That is why they were saying things like is it her? She doesn't remember. Etc...
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Tim Burton sucks so hard nowadays. He wasn't so good after the late 80s, early 90s. You could maybe consider Batman Returns good (I like it, kinda) and I've not seen Ed Wood, but I hear ... interesting things about it.

Tim Burton is the mainstream's avant-garde filmmaker. Weird for the sake of weird with a semblance of story to it. A couple of his things are good, but for the most part it's just ... meh. I heard, from many who read the books, that AiW and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory were not well done. I figured as much and did not choose to watch them.

Oh, and Johnny Depp. Eff.
  • BlueAventer
    Options
    I liked the Tim Burton version. Also, Johnny Depp - enough said.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I loved it! And everything else Tim Burton does! He's a genius!