Weighing same day of every week... vs. daily HELP!!!

koylefam
koylefam Posts: 142 Member
edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
So I used to weigh myself every Friday morning and for the first month I saw a steady drop...... Then I began weighing daily (it helps motivate me)... but lately my Fridays ar generally the same as the week before while I have other days that are lower... ie. tis week
Mon160.6
tues 158.2
Weds159.2
Thurs 159.6
Fri 160.0
Last friday I weighed in at 160.2
Last Tuesday I weighed 162 vs. 158.2 =3.8lb difference
SO QUESTION OF THE DAY....
HOW MUCH WEIGHT DID I REALLY LOSE FROM LAST WEEK TO THIS WEEK?????
iS IT THE .2LBS FROM fRIDAY TO FRIDAY
OR THE 3.8 FROM TUESDAY TO TUESDAY

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I weigh every day and record it on an app on my phone. I set MFP to lose 0.5 pounds/week so I don't bother having a weekly "official" weigh in. I take my official weigh in that I log in MFP every two weeks, as I have the same issue as you and generally have less than a 1 pound difference from week to week.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    That's very confusing. I would just pick one day a week to weigh in, do it around the same time.
  • natalie7015
    natalie7015 Posts: 55 Member
    I totally understand your frustration.I too was/am doing weekly weigh-ins but vary from 1-3 lbs during the week. I started with Mondays to start my week off but now usually log wieght on Tues or Wed. I weigh every morning before I get in the shower. It can be frustrating to see a gain and then go up and down all week, but once a week seems to help me stay more focused on my daily calorie count. I even bought a digital scale to help me get a more accurate weight, but I hear your pain. I am relieved I am not the only one who also bounces up and down so much.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    you could always average it. which would be 159.5 .

When you weigh daily you have to be ready for the ups and downs. Or even weekly ups and downs.

I would start charting the ups and downs and seeing if overall it is going down or staying within the same 3 lb range.
  • Your weight will fluctuate daily based on water retention, what's physically in your system/stomach, and what time you are weighing yourself. If you stick to first thing in the morning before eating and after visiting the restroom, then that should give you a consistent measurement. But pick ONE DAY of the week to record the measurement as progress. So if you pick Friday, then you go by whatever you see on Friday.

But remember the scale isn't everything when it comes to tracking progress. Are you taking tape measurements? What if you didn't lose a pound, but your waist size went down 2 inches?!?!?! How do your clothes fit from week to week. I think you should couple weighing yourself on a scale with taking pictures of your progress.

And...if you are TRULY not seeing a difference ask yourself if you have TRULY made a commitment to healthy eating and being active. You can't expect change if you haven't changed anything about your routines and activities!

Hope this helps.
  • I weigh myself everyday so in my mind I know where I am at.....but only record my weight on Saturday mornings (once a week).
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    I weigh myself everyday, but I don't take it to heart if I see an increase. Usually, if I gain a pound or two through the week, I can look at my food diary and workout and deduce that I must be retaining some water.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    hanks love the idea of averaging it!!!! I keep a daily record and know it will bounce around... it is just a little confusing when I hit 158 on a tuesday then 160 on a friday.. I know my water has been a little off... I averaged my past weeks out and it shows a downward trend... :happy:
This discussion has been closed.