Why do Fruits Have so Much Sugar

ek724q
ek724q Posts: 95 Member
I just bought a lot of fruit and want to eat it but they all have a lot of sugar in them. I don't want to go over my sugar amount and I have to much now.

What can I do to get more fruits but less sugar????

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I just bought a lot of fruit and want to eat it but they all have a lot of sugar in them. I don't want to go over my sugar amount and I have to much now.

i wouldn't overly concern yourself on going over on natural sugar from fruit
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member

i wouldn't overly concern yourself on going over on natural sugar from fruit

Ditto, better than a snickers.

Some fruites have a higher GI than others look for those fruits. REad this for more info.

http://www.amsa.org/healingthehealer/GlycemicIndex.pdf
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    the natural sugar's in fruits and vegetables are nothing to worry about. it's the add sugar, used to sweetin foods, that you have to watch out for.
  • Sugar is sugar, dont eat fruit
  • Yes, I agree with what he "Fatboypump" said!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    I've always been told that berries have less sugar than melons. But I feel your frustration, I love fruit. We are told top eat fruits and vegetables but then we get told we are eating too much fruit.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Sugar is sugar, dont eat fruit

Obvious troll is obvious.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Sugary fruit is sugar just like table sugar, so I don't agree that you shouldn't be concerned about it. There isn't enough fiber in an orange to overcome the fact that it's completely full of sugar. Same with most tropical fruits. I stick to occasional berries and (even more rarely) some melons.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Fruits like berries and watermelon have lower sugar. I eat those on non gym days when I have less sugar calories to spare. On gym days I eat more because I have more wiggle room and I will also burn off the sugars from the fruit. Remember the other benefit of eating whole fruit is the fiber you get along with it. I prefer to stay under but as long as I'm not hugely over I don't flip out over it. Use a bit of balance. Too much of anything is not good. I don't ignore the sugar from fruit, but take into consideration the side benefits and how much over you are.
  • Yes they're a lot of sugar BUT they're natural sugar therefore not bad for you like refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup is. Shoot for at least 5 servings of fruit a day and don't worry so much about the sugar in them...instead cut back on sugar in everything else.

Please check out: "Your Best Body Now" and "The Eat-Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno. She will explain fruits and their sugars verses refined sugars...do not listen to those who tell you not to eat fruit. Fruits are packed with vitamins and nutrients, antioxidents and some a quiet high in water content as well. Other great reads are Clean Eating magazine and Oxygen magazine.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Sugar is sugar. Your body can't tell the differece when it processes it. I try to only eat 1 serving a day, otherwise, I am definitely over.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Yes they're a lot of sugar BUT they're natural sugar therefore not bad for you like refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup is. Shoot for at least 5 servings of fruit a day and don't worry so much about the sugar in them...instead cut back on sugar in everything else.

I don't ignore the the sugar in fruit and veg, but I do look at the hidden sugar in processed foods and try to cut that out in order to have more room for fruit which is far better for you.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Rofl. Sugars are made naturally within fruits, there's no getting around it. It's still great to eat, and when eating healthy, fruits should make up a good percentage of the sugar you eat daily. It's not bad at all.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Sugary fruit is sugar just like table sugar, so I don't agree that you shouldn't be concerned about it. There isn't enough fiber in an orange to overcome the fact that it's completely full of sugar. Same with most tropical fruits. I stick to occasional berries and (even more rarely) some melons.

This is right... the sugar in some fruit can hurt you more than in some others. It's the same sugar -- fructose -- but in apples, the sugars are wrapped up in fibers that slow down the processing of those sugars.

Fructose, pure cane sugar (sucrose), milk sugar (lactose), and even high-fructose corn syrup are all about the same and end up being converted to glucose in the blood stream.

When you drink apple juice, you are getting the same sugar you would get from eating the apples.... but the juice doesn't have the fibers to slow down the digestion of those sugars... you'll get an insulin spike as high as if you'd knocked back a classic coke.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I'm glad we got this all sorted out. It's so nice when everyone can agree.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Don't eat too many fruits per day, 2 or 3 pieces shouldn't be a problem, more then that you're overdoing it.

What you need to look out for more then fructose is the refined sugars.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I'm glad we got this all sorted out. It's so nice when everyone can agree.

I agree. To have one singular form of thought on the subject puts confusion to rest.
  • I just read 3 similar articles that stated the usda sugar #s are for "ADDED SUGAR" Only. So fruit is good
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    The difference between sugar in fruit and refined table sugars, is that you're giving your body much needed NUTRIENTS when you eat the fruit as opposed to table sugar, which contains nothing but sugar. Fruit also has a lot of fiber, which helps clean out the digestive system - which is a good thing, and as already mentioned, helps slow down the digestive process so you don't get a sugar rush. Your body burns sugar for fuel. If you're really worried about it, minimize your intake, and/or eat fruit with a lower GI value. But fruit is good for you. All foods contain some form of sugar.
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    I agree with the posts that say "sugar is sugar". If your concern is that your diet is high in sugar then fruits are probably not your best choice for carbs. Fructose will still cause a significant insulin spike when consumed in high amounts (most fruits have high amounts). Fruits do have very good nutrition values and health benefits, but the idea that its sugar its different from other sugar because of this reason makes no sense. A bit extreme, but still good guide to manage your sugar/insulin levels throughout the day:

Must-have carb sources: green veggies (broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, celery, asparagus, etc.)

Can-have carb sources: other veggies (except potatoes), berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.)

Occasional carb sources: Other fruits

Rare carb sources: brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, cream of wheat, potatoes, yams

Should-avoid carb sources: white bread, white pasta, oatmeal

Must-avoid carb source: pastries, cookies, candy and any other junk sugary food