Are BMI's realistic

Options
2»

Replies

• GMDGeek
    GMDGeek Posts: 2
    Options
    Personally I think the BMI charts are unrealistic and out of date. According to them I should way between 130 and a 170. I'm a 5'8" guy with a big frame. Graduated high school at 196lbs and I was ripped. I'm still fairly strong. My insurance didn't like the use of the chart, I had to go through physical measurements and everything to determine what my actual numbers were.

BMI chart says I should be around 165 or less
    Doctor and Stress Test and Measurements say I should be around 185 - 195.

That is a 20lb+ difference. Sure wish they'd get around to putting more research, study, and fix to it.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If I hit my final goal weight, I'll still be overweight on BMI charts. I have large bones. That's not why I'm at my current weight, but it doesn't make it less true - my wrists are bigger than my husband's, I have a high bone density. I also have some serious leg muscles after hauling around 300+ lbs for years. That's fine. I don't set much store in BMI.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lol at the responses saying how useless BMI is because it doesn't hold true for every single person.

No **** it doesn't, it's a rough guideline for an average person and works quite well for that. It's not a rigid doctrine that you have to follow blindly, if you have reason to believe it doesn't apply to you then use some common sense and ignore it.

Saying it's useless because it doesn't work perfectly for everyone is one of the silliest statements I've read on here.
  • persaud87
    Options
    It's realistic for sedentary life styles.

For example, an athlete weighing 240 at 7 percent bodyfat at a height of 5'10 would be considered obese lmao, when in fact he looks like a greek god.

In my opinion body fat percentage is the only number you should look at, including weight. No point losing weight if its not fat you're losing. Your body fat will still increase.

The second most important tool is the mirror.