HIGH FIBER & PROTEIN DIET - Renee's 2 week trial run

Options
reneeot
reneeot Posts: 773 Member
So I heard about this New Zealand High Fiber & Protein Diet:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7817412/new_zealand_fiber_and_protein_diet.html?cat=5

Summation:

2,000 calorie diet
30% of calories from protein
35 grams of fiber.

Supposedly the subjects in Te Morenga's study who ate the protein and fiber combo lost 8 pounds for every one pound lost in the low-fat traditional diet group.

Eat 2,000 calories!! don't think possible for me, but I reset my goals for 1400:
55% carbs=191
30% protein-105
15% fat =23
35 grams of fiber.
Sugar=31

So I started my day today with
Oatmeal and boiled egg = 4 grams fiber and 11 grams of protein
Ready Fiber Plus(liquid) - 1 Tablespoon mixed in 16 oz of water= 7.5 fiber

Will be having an apple for snack = 5 fibers

Lunch - Protein & Good Carbs

I intend to make sure I eat 2 cups of veggies at my dinner meal=4 fiber
1 cup Brown Rice Pasta/ Potato/Brown Rice = another 2 grams or so
& what ever protein I eat

1/2 cup of beans daily=6 grams & 7 protein

Trail run for 2 weeks - Starting today 8/5 - 8/18

this morning weight 160.4

Replies

• MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    For the most part it seems like a good diet. High protein, low sugar high fiber. The only thing that would keep me from following this diet would be the low levels of fat. Just make sure you are getting enough amounts of good fats in your diet, in my opinion your body needs them much more than carbs.

Besides that, good luck, help it works for you.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think it will go really well do some strength training 3 times a week to build lean muscle since your eating so much protein and I think you'll find that you'll be losing weight and toning up! Good luck!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My body & my brain work best on a high protein & high fiber diet! :)
  • Elanesse100
    Elanesse100 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you highly active? 55% Carbs is an awful lot. P90X workout routine suggests 40% Protein 40% Carbs and 20% Fat for the ENERGY cycle. The Fat Shredding cycle suggests 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, and 20% Fat. That is currently what I am using. Now coupled with the exercises, I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!
  • reneeot
    Options
    Are you highly active? 55% Carbs is an awful lot.

We'll see how it turns out! I'm only monitoring tracking the fiber and protein. Making sure I eat enough fiber to protein.
    So I'll see where my carbs fall the 55% ratio.
  • reneeot
    Options
    For the most part it seems like a good diet. High protein, low sugar high fiber. The only thing that would keep me from following this diet would be the low levels of fat. Just make sure you are getting enough amounts of good fats in your diet, in my opinion your body needs them much more than carbs.

I can easily adjust the fat percentage and lower the carb percentage. I put 15% fat, because I read somewhere it should only be 15% of calories. What % do you reccommend?
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    sounds like a good plan. Keep us updated!:smile:
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options

I can easily adjust the fat percentage and lower the carb percentage. I put 15% fat, because I read somewhere it should only be 15% of calories. What % do you reccommend?

It would be hard for me to recommend a specific percentage given that my current (preferred) diet is very different from this one. I'm currently setting my split at 40% protein, 40% fat and 20%. My objective with pointing the low fat content was that whenever you are dealing with such low values (~35g per day), it is very easy not to get the necessary amounts. If you are trying this diet I would try to it as it is, but make some small changes. Olive oil with veggies, some fish fillets as your protein sources and cooking with coconut oil. Hope this helps.
  • reneeot
    Options
    The diet does not say how much fat, just fiber & protein. So I'm going to adjust carbs to 40% & fat to 25%. :-)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It should not be this hard to get just 35 grams of fiber every day. I think it's strange that we think increasing one or two nutrients is going to be some magical, miracle weight loss program. And yet, overall health doesn't matter? What is going inside your body when you eat McDonald's? Is it really just the fiber and protein from that meal that matters?

You would get plenty of protein and fiber and all the other nutrients we don't even understand yet from eating actual food. I just think it such a strange way to think about health, that's all.
  • reneeot
    Options
    It should not be this hard to get just 35 grams of fiber every day. I think it's strange that we think increasing one or two nutrients is going to be some magical, miracle weight loss program. And yet, overall health doesn't matter? What is going inside your body when you eat McDonald's? Is it really just the fiber and protein from that meal that matters?

You would get plenty of protein and fiber and all the other nutrients we don't even understand yet from eating actual food. I just think it such a strange way to think about health, that's all.
    No one said focusing on one or two nutrients is magical.

I think each body is different. And responds differently. When I keep my sugars under 30grams my stomach rolls go away, when I consistently eat more than that, they start to return. Although I remain the same weight. I also know I can eat more carbs than my sister and not gain weight, while she has to eat lower amount of carbs.

Some people do great on a mere low calorie diet, other do better on a lower carb diet.

So yes I do think each person needs to find out what helps their body the best to lose weight or maintain weight. For some it's easy and not much thought has to be given and for others it more difficult and they have to get pretty specific.

And many people do not eat 35 grams of fiber a day. You have to eat specific foods to actually really reach that every day.

What is going in my body at Mcdonalds is probably the same as you got out of Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery- Nachos & margarita.

Lesson for all: Don't be self-righteous and assume you know what a person usually eats, because you looked at one day of their diary.

Now I know why people want to keep their diary's private!!!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    When I keep my sugars under 30grams my stomach rolls go away, when I consistently eat more than that, they start to return.

Well now, that;s just common sense. And I lost 2.5 lbs the week I ate those nachos. But, I know they weren't healthy, obviously. I think it's funny that you had to go back to the beginning of July to find my junk food. Makes me kind of proud of myself, actually. :happy:

If you eat vegetables, fruits and whole grains, you will get enough fiber. And those foods are healthy, and they provide protein as well. I just think health is way more simple to think about than nutrition, and overall health is by far more important and more sustainable than quick weight loss.
  • reneeot
    Options
    I just think health is way more simple to think about than nutrition, and overall health is by far more important and more sustainable than quick weight loss.

Alot of your health comes from nutrition. What you put in your body will regulate your health. And everyone knows overall health is more important than quick weight loss, thats not a profound statement. My suggestion don't make it seem like you know more than anyone else or else you wouldn't be here on myfitnesspal with the rest of us. Offer advice in a constructive way not in a "it's a no brainer, I'm superior in my way of thinking" People will listen to you more, especially if you are correct.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    When I keep my sugars under 30grams my stomach rolls go away, when I consistently eat more than that, they start to return.

Well now, that;s just common sense. And I lost 2.5 lbs the week I ate those nachos. But, I know they weren't healthy, obviously. I think it's funny that you had to go back to the beginning of July to find my junk food. Makes me kind of proud of myself, actually. :happy:

If you eat vegetables, fruits and whole grains, you will get enough fiber. And those foods are healthy, and they provide protein as well. I just think health is way more simple to think about than nutrition, and overall health is by far more important and more sustainable than quick weight loss.
    I eat healthy, mostly whole grains, whole fruits and veggies with lean protein. Some days I slip and some days I do really well, but I struggle daily to even hit 25g of fiber. I completely agree with the comment about being "self-righteous". These forums are for support, not to bash another's diet. If you can give your advice in a supportive beneficial way, then IMO it's welcome, otherwise you should keep it to yourself.
  • reneeot
    Options
    I eat healthy, mostly whole grains, whole fruits and veggies with lean protein. Some days I slip and some days I do really well, but I struggle daily to even hit 25g of fiber.

I recently started adding 1/2 cup of black beans or kidney beans and that has really helped my fiber intake. I eat them like a snack or black beans are really good eating it for breakfast with eggs!!

:-)