Marathon Runners - Advice

Options
I enjoy running but a 5K is the longest distance I have ever ran. My question to all those who have ran a marathon or even a half marathon, how long did it take you to get to that point?

I haven't ran in awhile but have the urge to start training again. I'm giving myself an 8 month window, sound feasible?

Replies

• Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    8 months is plenty of time.

I'm 250 lbs and have a half marathon in 9 weeks. I'll let ya know how it goes! I did my first 10k back on July 4th and it wasn't too bad. Just look into different training plans. If you want to run/walk it, look into www.jeffgalloway.com. If you think you'd like to run the entire thing check out www.halhigdon.com.

Good luck.
  • Cassasmith
    Options
    Definitely- many beginner programs assume you can run at least 2 miles or 30 minutes straight and gradually build you up from there. There are programs that you can use and start training 9 weeks in advance or 15 weeks in advance and various other times around there. Definitely use a training program- don't go at it alone- and do a half before a full. Work your way up. I myself started training in late February for an end of May half and ran the whole time without stopping. 8 months is PLENTY of time. Way to go btw- keep up the motivation!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I plan to start off doing the interval run/walk combo until I get my endurance back up -- but I will definitely look into some programs and run a half marathon first.