How long to run a 10K?

Options
Hey all... I completed the Couch to 5k program and am running a 5k next weekend. I'm pacing a 9.3 or 10 minute mile right now which I am happy with as I've never been a runner before. But now I am wondering, how far away should I look to race in a 10k? Is there some rule that runners use as a guide for training, like 10% increase a week to prevent overtraining and injury? Thanks!

Replies

• kcsmalley
    kcsmalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k on july 9th and then I did a 10k 2 weeks later and a week from tomorrow I am doing my first half so i don't think there is a rule. If you are doing good and feel good then why not try it. go out and do a 5 mile run and see how you feel. I am sure you can do a 10 K they are not as hard as you think. I am very nervous. Good Luck. Feel free to add me if you are looking for a running buddy!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    There's a bridge to 10k program on the C25K website somewhere. I know someone else who has used it, I'm just not there yet so I don't know exactly where to find it.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Me...I really don't. Care how long it take to run a race...the victory is just being in the race it self..I cardio three to five miles a day...great luck with your ...
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    The 10% rule applies to your total weekly mileage. A typical training program for a 10-k is about 8 weeks long and assumes you can run 3 miles continuously (which you obviously can). I would start with something like this. Granted, you could do it faster, but there's a much higher risk of injury and burn out. Check out this link, I've been using his programs for all of my training and they're WONDERFUL.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I made it a goal to do 5 5ks before my first 10k. I think I did about a race a month for five months, maybe six, and then did my first 10k in may 2011 after my first 5k in october 2010, but everyone is different, its what feels right for you :)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different - for some running comes easy, for others they work at it.

From my first 5K to my first 10K was about 3+ years, but that was partly because I took a break and a little fear/lack of discipline. Once you sign up for the race, you HAVE to train, so it'll keep you focused.

I did my first 10K last year and I'm doing my first 1/2 one year later.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I read about a good plan in John Bingham's "The Courage to Start". He mentions the 10% increase per week on distance to avoid injury and also has a good schedule for adding time. Just found the pages under Google Books - here's the link, just scroll up a bit to start at the last paragraph on page 94

http://books.google.com/books?id=xexdpQV8MJIC&lpg=PA94&ots=cxOywwn9gu&dq=john bingham schedule to increase run time&pg=PA95#v=onepage&q&f=false

I would highly recommend picking this book up - lots of great stories and advice!
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I'm following the Jeff Galloway 10K training program which is 13 weeks long. I just started 2 weeks ago. I'm running a 5K in September which is just about where the program tells you to do a 5k race. My 10k is the beginning of November. I gave myself some extra time in case I want to repeat any weeks. Then in between my runs I cross train by doing some P90X workouts.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hey all... I completed the Couch to 5k program and am running a 5k next weekend. I'm pacing a 9.3 or 10 minute mile right now which I am happy with as I've never been a runner before. But now I am wondering, how far away should I look to race in a 10k? Is there some rule that runners use as a guide for training, like 10% increase a week to prevent overtraining and injury? Thanks!

I go by the 10% rule. But if you enter a 10K and you're not ready for it, what's the worst that can happen? You have to walk a little? However, I wouldn't take that cavalier attitude to anything longer than a 10K.