Healthy Snacks & Meals?

Options
I've been doing very well with eating healthy meals. For example, my favorite would be Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia with a cup of salad on the side; however, when it comes to snacks, I seem to fall back to carb, sodium, and fat filled snacks like Cheez-its and Special K Sea Salt Chips. I'm just wondering if anyone has any healthy snacks that you enjoy and would recommend? I'm looking to go to the market and pick up new healthy snacks. Also, what are your favorite meals to eat throughout the day? I know I can't live on my Tilapia for the rest of my life!!

Replies

• gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    Nuts and seeds like almonds and pumpkin seeds are great to snack on.
    Also fruit, even though it's high on sugar I generally ignore that as it's all natural sugars.
    Maybe some light greek or natural yogurt too.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I snack on nothing but fruit and yogurt! Cherries, mango, jicama, oranges, etc :)
  • Stacey661
    Options
    Air popped popcorn. I spritz a little cooking spray on it (so the salt will stick) then salt it as it pops, I add a little spray butter at the end for flavor. Yummy salty buttery snack, very low calorie. For me, volume is key and popcorn totally fits the bill. I have it almost every day... yum.
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    if you like chicken fingers........cut some chicken breast into fingers and marinate in a mixture of plain yogurt and dijon mustard....for the coating, mix some cracker crumbs w/roasted almonds in the food processor and bake :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds like almonds and pumpkin seeds are great to snack on.
    Also fruit, even though it's high on sugar I generally ignore that as it's all natural sugars.
    Maybe some light greek or natural yogurt too.

I second the nuts and seeds. People tend to forget that though too much dietary fat is bad for you, ignoring it altogether is even worse. Nuts and seeds are loaded with helpful dietary fats.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Apple with natural pb, banana with natural pb, almonds, Fiber One bar, yogurt with granola, fruits, edamame, carrots, 100 cal pack! :)

Meals... www.skinnytaste.com is my FAV!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like celery sticks with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and protein shakes.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Apples with peanut butter
    Mixed nuts
    String cheese
    PB&J
    Greek yogurt with granola
    Veggie sticks with dip
    Any type of fruit you like
    Smoothies
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Apple with natural pb, banana with natural pb, almonds, Fiber One bar, yogurt with granola, fruits, edamame, carrots, 100 cal pack! :)

pretty much what I eat, I also do bell peppers with hummus or laughing cow cheese, you can make a light dip out of sourcream and powdered ranch for the carrots. Smoothies can simple and just be fruit and water with sweetner if you like ( my favorite is mango).
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds are a great snack. Seeds are good too. I love fruit of any kind. Also, cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is filling, and when you put in some fruit, it's a great breakfast. I even found a super late night snack: a small amount of strawberry preserves in some cottage cheese. It's great and not too high in calories.

I'm a big fan of certain energy bars - not the heavily processed ones, but the natural or raw ones like Larabar. I like bars because they are portable, easy to keep at my desk, have in my messenger bag, throw in a backpack, etc., and always have nutritional info printed on them. There is one called Pro Bar that I've really enjoyed lately and a new local company (Austin, TX) that started making Thunderbird Entergetica bars which are fantastic.

Some bars have a lot of calories in them, so I used to avoid them for that reason - for example, the Pro Bars can be 350-370 calories EACH!. But I've found a great "trick" - I will eat one bar throughout the day. It ends up serving as 2-3 snacks. 370 calories isn't so bad if it's the majority of my snack category for the day. Check out any of your natural grocers and you should be able to find some of the non-processed bars. Some do taste like cat turds. But some are delicious. If you find a brand and want a review, let me know. I've tasted a TON of bars...
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    an apple or pear w/ string cheese or nuts; baked corn chips, or cut up veggies w/ salsa or hummus; maybe a corn tortilla with fat free refried beans and a pinch of 2% milk cheese; or a whole wheat tortilla with spaghetti sauce and a little mozerella cheese.