TURKEYTURKEYTURKEY

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I couldn't believe there aren't a lot of threads about turkey-day yet.
These 2 looming "national eating events" (Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanakuh) are reeeally going to test my discipline and resolve to stay with the daily calories.

Anyway - the question... I recently bought a small rotissiere and was wondering if it would be any more helthy to use it for a small turkey, rather than the usual bake and baste method. Anyone know if that makes a difference??

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe there aren't a lot of threads about turkey-day yet.
    These 2 looming "national eating events" (Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanakuh) are reeeally going to test my discipline and resolve to stay with the daily calories.

Anyway - the question... I recently bought a small rotissiere and was wondering if it would be any more helthy to use it for a small turkey, rather than the usual bake and baste method. Anyone know if that makes a difference??
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that it makes a small difference. When cooking with a rotisserie, the food is in essence, basting itself as it cooks. You'll save some calories and fat since the drippings are not reincorporated into the turkey after they drip off, but it won't be a huge difference. Good idea though. The healthiest way would be to bake or roast the turkey in a pan with a raised rack that will keep it above the juices. It will be drier, but also healthier, although turkey prepared in any way is typically a healthy food. And heck, its a holiday, and everyone deserves a cheat day now and again. Just don't snack on leftovers during the day. :smile: