Advice needed re: trainer

Options
I have a personal training system who I have been seeing since May, 2011.
During that month, I had a lot of personal things happening and didn't get in to see them as much as I would have liked.
I was scheduled to go in twice a week and maybe made it in 3 times through the whole month. I still paid the monthly fee.
In June things got a bit better, was able to schedule and show up more consistently. I actually gauge this as my start time.
Since that time there have been issues:
I've had my actual trainer change twice - which makes me feel like there isn't an investment on their part.
I've had at least 3 times where I showed up for my appointment and they had 'forgotten' or there was some sort of scheduling issue and I wasn't able to train.
I've had major issues with restrictions on scheduling sessions - not helped by the fact that i am very busy too.
I have difficulty getting my measurements or 'before' pictures etc etc etc.

On the plus side, I quite like the trainer I have now and have lost a lot of weight since mid-June (about 30 lbs!).
BUT my friends think it's my own motivation making the difference as I am running two or three times a day.

The trainer is not cheap but I feel like if I cancel them, I might lose momentum.
What should I do?
Find another trainer?

Replies

• JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    Are you happy? Are you motivated? Do you feel it is worth having a trainer? I would take your "Schedule" issues up with the trainer. If there is a conflict you should have no limitations on your scheduling. Demand the pics and measurements that you paid for.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    they are your trainer. They get paid for working with you. Of course, things can happen and so on, but "forgetting" an appointment is a no go. If you like your trainer and can honestly say they do their job and help you, support you, motivate you and make you work your butt off, then it's worth the money. In any other case, you might do better by finding a new trainer who will be more focused on you as their paying client. Just my two cents. :-)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have you had scheduling issues with the new trainer? You're paying them. They should be working with your schedule & when you can be there.

As far as the motivation, it seems you've taken things upon yourself to further progress your weight loss. Do you really think you need the trainer for motivation?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I had my trainer changed on me after my first session. My husband was not thrilled, because my original trainer was/is a competition trainer and was/is my nutritionist and will be my coach who accompanies me to the competition in November. Yet, now I am with a trainer who has a much more "free" schedule. I guess that means I am not worth as much as the other people who pay trainers at our gym....But, the original competition trainer has decided that he will write up a routine for my current trainer to use, so I am doing proper workouts geared toward what I need. And, I like my trainer. I don't take his advice on eating and exercsies outside of our training sessions, but the sessions are hardcore, and for that, I am thankful.

BUT, to answer your question.....I say if you like the trainer you have now, stick with him/her. Maybe let them (either trainer or the facility) know how feel about your concerns. Good luck!!
  • matthewburditt
    Options
    Yes, I'll see how it goes this month and if things get better and I see the results I am hoping to.
    Thanks all!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer who I absolutely would not trade for anything. I'm pretty stubborn and can't be made to do things if my mind is already set against it and he gets that... but also knows when I'm just being lazy and can kick my *kitten* if needed. Plus if you and your trainer are getting along and you can trust him/her, thats what matters most. I know that I can go into a session being totally myself and my trainer deals with me as is and can get my head into our workouts and off my problems.

What I find helps when it comes to scheduling and what not is to sit-down and say ok this is when I'm coming in and make sure that they put it in the computer as you are sitting there and then write it down too. That way if they ever "lose" you in the system again you can say look, this is what we agreed to and it's in writing. and no one can really dispute that.